increasing your speed

Started by MarioThePhenom, December 01, 2011, 04:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarioThePhenom

so i was wondering, how do you guys increase your overall speed in tetris?

what i like to do is play pple who are faster/better then me in a 1v1 which forces me to play at my fastest to try and beat them

also i like to try and master different ways of stalking, so i get used to multiple stacking methods and am more comfortable with more situations

Quote from: PandaLol no, that's ludacris. I have a sentence generator, Blink....

coolmaninsano

Quote from: MarioThePhenomalso i like to try and master different ways of stalking

Also, by reading pre-existing threads with speed tips and tricks. Also, 0G 60 Hz SRS Movement Finesse.

MarioThePhenom

i meant STACKING  

hmm, threads like this already exist?
havent seen any of them, ill go look for them

and i know about finese....

Quote from: PandaLol no, that's ludacris. I have a sentence generator, Blink....

Paradox

[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

jkwon23

i increase my speed by playing a lot of multiplayer and 1v1 games

pumpupthejam

I play Sprint games and keep a note of my average times and sure enough I am getting faster.

billtsar

When I feel slow I play 40 lines for 10min and then back to my game.

Anonymous

First let me quote another post I made:
[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]
Another thing I find is that pieces sort of just seem to "fit together" into block combinations. For instance, the L and Z piece fit together well, and the J and S piece fit together well.  LO, JO, LOJ, JSL, etc. There's lots of piece combinations that fit together, and if you want to get fast, you should try to discover as many as you can!

I think it's important that when you stack up, you think of the pieces and previews in terms of these "block combinations". (You won't always be able to do this, but you should try!)

I'm too lazy to think of a way to explain what i'm thinking, but I attempted to make some fumens that accurately represent my idea.

First, thinking in terms of these block combinations make stacking flat incredibly easy.

[fumen]110@7eF2cI0aBSmBTiBJeBXcB9bC3ae16NEAo3MoDqbUKn?bWKke16NAA7eGKYBsTB3WBGSBJLBzQBVOB[/fumen]

And secondly, it'll help you develop muscle memory. For instance, if you want to place a J piece on the right, and an O piece on top of that, they both use the same key inputs to place them there.

[fumen]110@7eH2kiWepPAkS0TASYlNEFbMmEBzsCA2dpRA0itTAS?4sdDjB98AwW5kDFBAAA2nBTXpAATZpXAkS0TASYlNEFbMmE?BzkTASo6xDhOxCAzYpZA0itTAS4sdDjB98AwW5kDloo2Ah7?r4DOBAAAzdB[/fumen]

Hope this helps you guys become pro!
[/quote]

This isn't necessarily for increasing speed, just getting better overall. But one thing I do is I play a lot of survivor/dig race/ that kind of stuff, and when I discover a new piece combination, or do something cool, like this:

[fumen]110@deD3hbH3hbD3pbAoUTAToo2Aaoo2AjHfhDJG0dEpXx?CA7eEUMPAAv8c3Bd3RPIA2HGDEhoA6AAwNAA[/fumen]

I'll watch a replay of the cool thing in that game multiple times. Then I'll make a new game and try to recreate the situation multiple times until I feel like I have the move or whatever down.
My awesome downstacking guide, last updated (Jan 29, 2013): Downstacker's Guide to the Galaxy
Tired of the same old Tetris games? Read my idea for a revamped Tetris game! The Next

belzebub

What I do:
  • play sprint where frame turns red when under a certain ppm
  • play sprints of 10L to practice opening tetris + end game ds'ing
  • train finesse with finesse detection system and replay after my sprint is finished to see where i made faults
  • changed my keys so i have nicer finger combinations to set pieces
  • have an alarm go of if my speed drops below a certain ppm
  • play infinite dig downstack practice mode at high level to feel constantly pressured by getting new garbage but letting me the option to survive in dificult situations
I am recently starting to think about the different key combinations you need to do to play and master:
  • harddrop
  • left tap, hd
  • right tap, hd
  • left tap, left rotate, hd
  • left tap, right rotate, hd
  • right tap, left rotate, hd
  • right tap, right rotate, hd
  • left tap, tap, hd
  • right tap, tap, hd
  • left tap, tap, rotate right, hd
  • left tap, tap, rotate left, hd
  • right tap, tap, rotate left, hd
  • right tap, tap, rotate right, hd
  • das left, tap right, hd
  • das right, tap left, hd
  • das right, rotate left, hd
  • das right, rotate right, hd
  • das left, rotate left, hd
  • das left, rotate right, hd
This list is not complete (double rotate is not in it) but i have no time to complete it and check it now. Every combination is saved in the brain.

My das to wall, rotate and das to wall tap back sucks. I could eg only do 70ppm for das left, tap back and harddrop. For the right was 80ppm. I need 100ppm on average to get sub60, so every time I have to use DAS my average is going down. Still I subbed60 because my brain is fast enough and my easy finger combinations are quick enough to compensate.

I'm now practicing all the DAS moves (das tap back and das rotate) and try to mater the combinations so i get them above 100ppm. That will speed up my game a lot.

Every key combination should be a natural thing to do without thinking, when having the need to have visual feedback of where the piece is going, it will certainly slow down.

This is all I do and know  

XaeL

belzebub link me to ur nullpo with the finessor

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

belzebub

I made a video of some things discussed here:

You see what combination I missed with the last J that f***ed up my stack?

ohitsstef

magical tetris steroid pills ^^;

We do not forgive. We do not forget.

Profane

I've never seen some of the things Belzebub was using like the Finesse thing.  Also you mentioned the turning read under a certain PPM, can you show me how to do that or the alarm.