5 (14.3%)
"Badly"
12 (34.3%)
"Tried and gave up"
4 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

yazichima

Hey Forum,

First of all, I was wondering how many of you actually use finesse. How much of a difference has it had? Is it that effective? I've heard the argument that some of the fastest players don't use finesse, but then there's also the argument about how many extra keystrokes finesse can save. I also have a couple other questions about finesse that I'll post in this thread.

Pretty simple question: Which do you use, DAS tap back or double tap if you're moving to a position that could use either? This happens most notably with J, L, S, and Z, pieces on the left side when they are placed in their spawn orientation one space from the left wall.
  I suppose it depends what DAS you use, and how high your ARR is, but as was pointed out on this thread:  http://harddrop.com/forums/index.php?showt...amp;#entry14391 it seems that double tapping in one direction is less favorable, perhaps because of the fact that you do have to use the same finger for the two actions. Thoughts?

As a side note I was wondering if anyone who uses the up arrow as a rotation button and the side arrows for movement has problems when they have to go left and rotate left for the same piece. It just feels awkward sometimes for me and I find myself using an alternative method of getting to the position just so that I don't have to do so. This often means that I'm not using good finesse however.

Hardest piece + orientation + column position to place? I'm not a fan of any piece rotated once clockwise two columns right from there's spawn position.

Thanks folks.

clincher

I just wanted to point out that finesse is not something you use or not. Finesse is just how you get one piece from one position to another. It's either good or bad, but it's always there.

I think everyone should have, at least, decent finesse. It really isn't hard to learn, you just have to commit to learning. There is no hardest placement in my opinion, counter-intuitive... maybe.

Plus, it's just sexy when you see someone with great finesse, I mean, just look at caffeine or Radiance
It's all about the love

Shizi

Profane

I think i qualify as using some levels of two step finesse. I never really paid enough attention to if was doing it to the letter but i think for the most part i do use it.

Barneey

I thought damn near everyone used finesse, to me its as basic as DAS and keybindings.
Definitely changed my experience for the better, it feels so much smoother to play with finesse than it does when you tap like a madman.

riisssaaa

Is Finesse a physical physical thing or a not physical physical thing? O__O"
Eg is it how you play or is it a mod/tweak/program feature/thing?

larrytetris

There's more to finesse than just tapping.

For instance, polymer TSD finesse:
[fumen]110@/dC3hbH3jbG3ibH3hbI3gbC3pblfxMAplceEliSTAS?ICvD7eEdyqDAB2aCAAQpLAZH5TASYBNElsKBAdCdl3cdCd[/fumen]
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]www.hrlarry.com[/div]
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.
~Martin Luther King Jr.
[/di

Paradox

Quote from: larrytetris

[fumen]110@/dC3hbH3jbG3ibH3hbI3gbC3pblfxMAplceEliSTAS?ICvD7eEdyqDAB2aCAAQpLAZH5TASYBNElsKBAdCdl3cdCd[/fumen]

You should have showed a set up that is actually useful lool.

anyway, check this out  :

http://harddrop.com/wiki/0G_60_Hz_SRS_Movement_Finesse

It pretty much maps out every placement for each piece in a very efficient way. I probably do about 90% of it correctly. It definitely helps a lot and can keep you from wasting a lot of keypresses. I think that is what most of us follow as a guide.

some more info:

http://harddrop.com/forums/index.php?showt...2985&hl=6-3
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

Anonymous

Quote from: larrytetris

._. wut

The two things look the same to me.
My awesome downstacking guide, last updated (Jan 29, 2013): Downstacker's Guide to the Galaxy
Tired of the same old Tetris games? Read my idea for a revamped Tetris game! The Next

MarioThePhenom

Quote from: Anonymous
._. wut

The two things look the same to me.

lol what he did the second time was soft drop all the way down. counter rotated it, then rotated it clokwise, instead of soft droping it, spin it, move to the right, spin again

Quote from: PandaLol no, that's ludacris. I have a sentence generator, Blink....

Lucho

I think if you use 0 or 1 ARR then finesse comes in a natural way, since it are the optimal piece placements
[div align=\\\"center\\\"][spoiler]
Funky Ruskie[/div][div align=\\\"center\\\"] [/div][/spoiler]