About Term Named "Mino"

Started by Maske, February 26, 2011, 04:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maske

Hi, I hate to bother everyone, but can I ask well informed persons a stupid question ?
Since when has the word "MINO" been popular with western people too ?
The word "tetrimino" derives from "Polyomino" invented by mathematician Solomon W. Golomb.
He seemed to have defined the word as the following.

CLASSIC GREEK
mono
di
tri
tetra
penta
hexa
hepta
octa
nona
deca

POLYOMINO WORDS
mon-omino
d-omino
tri-omino
tetr-omino (Tetris Holdings Group uses tetr-imino.)
pent-omino
hex-omino
hept-omino
oct-omino
non-omino
dec-omino

So, judging from the history of word "tetrimino", I think we should recognize the suffix as "imino " or "omino".

QuoteTetris Battle Old Navy Challenge Hint no. 1: Today give a friend 1 game piece from the Free Gifts tab to help them complete the challenge and win the limited Old Navy Mino set. The Challenge will expire soon, so don't wait till its gone!▜▘ Play Tetris and collect the game pieces: http://apps.facebook.com/tetris_battle

Haha, since I'm a very good english writer,  would you permit me to correct above sentence  ?    

QuoteTetris Battle Old Navy Challenge Hint no. 1: Today give a friend 1 game piece from the Free Gifts tab to help them complete the challenge and win the limited Old Navy Omino set. The Challenge will expire soon, so don't wait till its gone!▜▘ Play Tetris and collect the game pieces: http://apps.facebook.com/tetris_battle

QuoteTetris Battle Old Navy Challenge Hint no. 1: Today give a friend 1 game piece from the Free Gifts tab to help them complete the challenge and win the limited Old Navy Imino set. The Challenge will expire soon, so don't wait till its gone!▜▘ Play Tetris and collect the game pieces: http://apps.facebook.com/tetris_battle

QuoteTetris Battle Old Navy Challenge Hint no. 1: Today give a friend 1 game piece from the Free Gifts tab to help them complete the challenge and win the limited Old Navy Tetrimino set. The Challenge will expire soon, so don't wait till its gone!▜▘ Play Tetris and collect the game pieces: http://apps.facebook.com/tetris_battle

I'm sorry for posting such trasy topic  
Incidentally, Tetris players in my country also call them "X-Mino" ,not X-Omino/ -Imino/ -Tetrimino.

Paul676

Quote from: Maske
Hi, I hate to bother everyone, but can I ask well informed persons a stupid question ?
Since when has the word "MINO" been popular with western people too ?
The word "tetrimino" derives from "Polyomino" invented by mathematician Solomon W. Golomb.
He seemed to have defined the word as the following.

CLASSIC GREEK
mono
di
tri
tetra
penta
hexa
hepta
octa
nona
deca

POLYOMINO WORDS
mon-omino
d-omino
tri-omino
tetr-omino (Tetris Holdings Group uses tetr-imino.)
pent-omino
hex-omino
hept-omino
oct-omino
non-omino
dec-omino

Classical Greek:

ἁπαξ but they use μονος meaning "alone, only" instead. (monos, so mono-)
δι- (di-)
τρι- (tri-)
τετρα- (tetra-)
πεντα- (penta-)
ἑξα- (hexa-)
ἑπτα- (hepta-)
ὁκτα- (octa-)
ἑνα- (ena) - nona is Latin
δεκα- (deca)

The vowel ending from the first word should not be confused with the suffix.

Words with -mino suffix therefore SHOULD be

monomino
dimino
trimino
tetramino Tetris holdings group uses Tetri-mino because Tetri-s is the name of the game.
pentamino
hexamino
heptamino
octamino
nonamino (enamino)
decamino

Since I am a good Ancient Greek/English writer, let me re-correct your sentences.

"Tetris Battle Old Navy Challenge Hint no. 1: Today give a friend 1 game piece from the Free Gifts tab to help them complete the challenge and win the limited Old Navy Omino Mino set. The Challenge will expire soon, so don't wait till its gone!▜▘ Play Tetris and collect the game pieces: http://apps.facebook.com/tetris_battle"

"Tetris Battle Old Navy Challenge Hint no. 1: Today give a friend 1 game piece from the Free Gifts tab to help them complete the challenge and win the limited Old Navy Tetromino Tetramino or Tetrimino set. The Challenge will expire soon, so don't wait till its gone!▜▘ Play Tetris and collect the game pieces: http://apps.facebook.com/tetris_battle"

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the suffix is -omino - but that term goes back to the French "domino"...which in the etymology they cite, doesn't go back to either Classical Greek or Latin. Hence I propose that we should not go on them and in fact go back to the correct Greek/Latin forms as stated above.
               Tetris Belts!

jujube

Miño (Spanish) [ˈmiɲo]
-noun
(Placename) a river in SW Europe, rising in NW Spain and flowing southwest (as part of the border between Spain and Portugal) to the Atlantic. Length: 338 km (210 miles) Portuguese name Minho.

minomer (Gibberish, adopted from 'misnomer') ['mee-noh-mer]
-noun
1. a misapplied or inappropriate name or designation for a river in SW Europe.
2. an error in naming a person or thing or tetris piece.

Zircean

The thing is that "Mino" was a term used by TTC, really. The mathematical construct has always been -omino, and most of the time, when you have a suffix that starts with a vowel, any trailing vowels on the prefix are left out.

So, tetromino it is.

Also, Paul, Wikipedia does cite "enneomino" (ennea + omino) as a name for a 9-omino.
[div align=\\\"CENTER\\\"]Dev Blog | | Google Code[/div]

Maske

Quote from: Paul676

Since I am a good Ancient Greek/English writer, let me re-correct your sentences.

Oh, my comment was meant to self-irony joke. If it was an offensive remark, forgive me  

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]Miño (Spanish) [ˈmiɲo] -noun (Placename) a river in SW Europe, rising in NW Spain and flowing southwest (as part of the border between Spain and Portugal) to the Atlantic. Length: 338 km (210 miles) Portuguese name Minho.[/quote]

Haha, in my country, "Mino" means the rumen of cow.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]The thing is that "Mino" was a term used by TTC, really. The mathematical construct has always been -omino, and most of the time, when you have a suffix that starts with a vowel, any trailing vowels on the prefix are left out.  So, tetromino it is.  Also, Paul, Wikipedia does cite "enneomino" (ennea + omino) as a name for a 9-omino.[/quote]

Yeah, It is what I mean.  Since when does TTC use the "MINO" ?
A long time ago, since TC.com wiki seemed to use "-tetrimino" in many pages, I have corrected a lot of articles I wrote.

Methane
Ethane
Propane
Butane
Pentane    
Hexane    
Heptane    
Octane    
Nonane    
Decane    
Undecane    
Dodecane    
Icosane    
Triacontane    
Tetracontane    
Pentacontane    

In the organic chemistry, when we call the one of alkane group, we don't call it "ane", do we?
That is why "Mino" seems to me a wonder expression

caffeine

In geometry, the lattice animal in question is almost exclusively referred to as an "tetromino," but don't take my word for it. Sift through any recently-published geometry textbook.

Found a pretty good discussion on the topic:

-omino isn't really a root, and with the exception of
"domino," the rest are "made-up" words.  Let's look at what Steven
Schwartzman says about the word "polyomino" in _The Words of
Mathematics - An Etymological Dictionary of Mathematical Terms Used in
English (Mathematical Association of America):

The term polyomino was coined by Solomon W. Golomb in 1954.  

The first component is fromGreek polus "many," from the
 Indo-European root pel - "to fill," which is an English
 cognate. The second component is all but the first letter
 of Latin domino, from Latin dominus "master (of the house)."
 The more basic Latin word is domus "house," from the
 Indo-European root dem - "home."

In the 16th century, a domino was a priest's winter cloak
 with hood; the name came from the expression benedicamus
 domino "Let us bless the Lord," which monks used to repeat
 as a brief prayer. Only in the 19th century did the term
 apply to the rectangular pieces used in the game of dominoes.

One hypothesis to explain the connection between the two
 dissimilar objects is that the dominoes used in the game are
 of the same black color as the dominoes worn by monks.

The do- in domino coincidentally but conveniently resembles
 the do- that means "two," as in double and dodecagon. Whereas
 a standard domino is made up of two square sections with
 numbers on each, a polyomino is made up of several square
 sections without any numbers on them. A player is challenged
 to combine the pieces in a set of polyominoes to produce
 certain shapes or simple pictures of recognizable objects.
 There are 5 distinct tetrominoes, 12 pentominoes,
 35 hexominoes, 108 heptominoes, 369 octominoes, etc.
 Pentominoes have been more popular than any of the other
 -ominoes.

So, you can call it an "L-Tetrimino" if you want, but there's definitely nothing wrong with "L-Tetromino." "L-mino" sounds kind of strange to to me, but whatever floats your boat.

L-mino

Quote from: caffeine
"L-mino" sounds kind of strange to to me, but whatever floats your boat.

: (

caffeine

Quote from: L-mino
: (
Woah...  

coolmaninsano

Quote from: caffeine"L-mino" sounds kind of strange to to me, but whatever floats your boat.
Whoa caff watch those personal attack on other members ;DDDDD.
Anyway I just call them by their letter and sometimes color.

perfectclear

"L PIECE"... "STICK PIECE" call them what you want.

just keep those squigglies and reverse squigglies clear ^^ (referencing tetris god here)