Fragmental 3D: Tetris in 3D for iPhone!

Started by fragmental3d, August 30, 2010, 02:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragmental3d

Hello everyone!  I hope to meet people who love playing Tetris here at HardDrop, and to get some reactions to my iPhone game: Fragmental 3D.
http://www.Fragmental3D.com (currently on sale for only $0.99!)

Fragmental 3D is a fast-paced, colorful puzzle game for iPhone and iTouch, where you must skillfully arrange falling blocks on a three-dimensional grid. You can move and rotate these blocks in all directions to form lines across the grid, which clears the lines away and generates points.

The game has received some great reviews (most recently, a 4.75/5 at RatedGForGeek.com) and also has a Lite version you can try out for free!

Please let me know what you think!
Fragmental 3D is a fast-paced, colorful 3D Tetris game for iPhone and iTouch.  Intuitive move/rotation controls, infinite camera positions, beautiful background environments, worldwide leaderboards, and more!

Noogy

Hello, and welcome to hard drop!

i hope you have a genuine interest in being a part of our community, and that you're not just here to promote your game

i sure do love tetris, but after playing this free 3d tetris and watching this video on blockout, i'm not interested in this concept of tetris and will pass on this game.

solo2001

I think it's a sign that HardDrop is becoming successful, If companies join here specifically to sell us products!!!
[15:40] DAS44: trolliest thread ever was solo's

Wojtek

Did you know that Blockout comes from Poland?
This looks interesting, i will give it a try.
Recommended games:
NullpoMino
Tetris Online Poland

fragmental3d

To Noogy: thanks for the welcome, and I'm excited to explore the HardDrop community.  As a developer, I find that I enjoy "creating" more than "playing" ... I thought it would be nice to present my work to fellow Tetris fans in this Introduction section, and hopefully hear some opinions

One of the key differences between Fragmental and the other 3D Tetris/Blockout games you mentioned is the fully-rotational camera that lets you view from any angle.  I know that the 3D thing isn't for everyone though!

I started playing "real" Tetris on the original Game Boy, but my favorite Tetris flavor was on the Game Boy Color (was it called Tetrix DX?).  Anyway, I'm sure there are some good HardDrop forum debates over the best versions...

To Wojtek: I did not know about about Blockout's origins -- that's interesting.  My game (and many, many others) have been greatly inspired by games like Blockout and of course Tetris / Alexey Pajitnov.  It's counter-intuitive that so many would love to play a random, unbounded-time that you can never "win".  But the formula works, and it's certainly a paradigm that I enjoy.

Also -- I just want to say that I am in complete awe of the HardDrop Wiki.  Very, very nice.  I wish I would have known about that resource when I was building my game
Fragmental 3D is a fast-paced, colorful 3D Tetris game for iPhone and iTouch.  Intuitive move/rotation controls, infinite camera positions, beautiful background environments, worldwide leaderboards, and more!

Spirale

I tried blockout a while ago and did not really enjoy it.
But I found out about this strange game called Torus, which is Tetris in 3d but in a cylinder.
I enjoyed it :

http://www.benjoffe.com/code/games/torus/

fragmental3d

Quote from: Spirale
I found out about this strange game called Torus, which is Tetris in 3d but in a cylinder.
I enjoyed it

Yes, the cylinder approach to Tetris is very interesting.  There's a game called Cirris for the iPhone that looks very similar to the Torus game you found.

Conceptually, the 3D cylinder is the equivalent of a 2D Tetris game that lets you slide a piece to one side and (instead of being stopped by the wall) it "wraps" column-by-column over to the other side.  Is there any 2D Tetris game like this?

Wojtek

Hello, I tired game for a bit and have few comments.

Graphics are nice, but game is very silent.

Weird pieces choice. You have lot of 5-blocks pieces, that's kinda hard. I hate 2x2x2 cube block, it's bigger than others (8 cubes) and hard to fit in , so it's quite annoying. Is it supposed to be 3d block with the hole analogy (sorry for inside joke)? But I guess full version have other piece sets available, right?

I like idea that you clear single lines not whole layers like in other 3d games, it makes games easier, but it's kinda confusing at first. I didn't bother to try, but will this systems some kind of chain clears should be possible, do you award them?

Game is kinda slow paced, 3d tetris is slow itself but touch controls make this game even slower. Most people here think of tetris as fast action game not puzzle. Of course this kind of gameplay is still fun, but it's just not what i like.

Looks like leadearboards are very active and competition level is high.
Recommended games:
NullpoMino
Tetris Online Poland

fragmental3d

Thanks for checking out the game!

The Full version of the game (currently $0.99) has three different Fragment collections: Standard, Classic, and Rejects.  The free version only has the Standard set.  Many players prefer the Classic set, which are the 4-block pieces that everyone knows so well.  Interestingly, in 3D the S/Z and L/J pieces are the same, because you are given the extra rotational axis.  Rejects, by the way, is a collection of oddly shaped pieces for some very difficult gameplay.

I definitely agree that the game has a slow pace in the free version.  This was due to overwhelming feedback that the game was too difficult.  You always start at Level 0 in the free version. In the full version, you can start at level 10, where pieces drop much faster, and the scores go up much quicker

I just released version 1.5 of the game, which now uses OpenFeint+GameCenter leaderboards, and has a new Achievements system.  There is also a new Ascent gameplay mode, where the speed/scores continue to increase with each level.  In Marathon mode, the speed/scores cap at level 10.