TDS Garbage Help

Started by Magnanimous, July 20, 2009, 10:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnanimous

I've really been getting into wi-fi battles lately, but I'm a little confused about the placement of holes in garbage... Sometimes all of the spaces line up, but other times it's as scrambled as BlockBox. Does anyone know if there's a special algorithm in the garbage process, or if it's just random?
Best 40 Lines: 37:74 (162.18 TPM) on NullpoMino

jujube

some players have done testing and they found that the hole changes columns about 30% of the time in TDS.

Magnanimous

Best 40 Lines: 37:74 (162.18 TPM) on NullpoMino

zaphod77

Quote from: Magnanimous
Okay, thanks.

The garbage is rumored to be kinder to the lower ranked player, and meaner to the higher ranked one, but I have seen no evidence at all of this.

I believe the hole change rate is fixed at 30%, and what people are seeing is just the random number generator at work.  Without combos, it's a lot harder to counterattack messed up garbage than it is to counterattack strait garbage.

This seems to suggest that TOJ is the wave of the future for decent Guideline multiplayer.

WhiteTigerShiro

Quote from: zaphod77
The garbage is rumored to be kinder to the lower ranked player, and meaner to the higher ranked one, but I have seen no evidence at all of this.

I believe the hole change rate is fixed at 30%, and what people are seeing is just the random number generator at work.
Most likely.  In WoW there's a boss that uses an attack called "Deep Breath" on a random timer.  Before it was known that she would use the attack on a give or take timer, and every time there was a patch, people would insist that the timer on the attack was changed.  In reality the randomizer would just give them either a lot of high timers or a lot of low timers that coincidentally coincided with the patch.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]Without combos, it's a lot harder to counterattack messed up garbage than it is to counterattack strait garbage.

This seems to suggest that TOJ is the wave of the future for decent Guideline multiplayer.
[/quote]I have to agree.  Seems that in TDS trash tends to decide more matches than actual skill.  Either you get good trash that sets you up for a lot of mutli-line clears (possibly involving T-spins), or you get a lot of alternating trash that gives you nothing for clearing it.  I always feel a little defeated inside when I JUST got done sending a bunch of trash over to him, then glance up at his screen seconds later and there's nothing there and a bunch of jagged trash on my screen.  It makes me feel like I just gave myself trash.  :/

I definitely love the combo system because it helps get rid of some of that by letting you Ren the alternating Trash.
"Not all who wander are lost."  -J.R.R. Tolkien
http://whitetigershiro.blogspot.com/

hurtchow

What is TOJ's garbage system like?

I'd play TOJ more if I knew how to do 1 on 1 matches.
Tetris DS Friend Code: 485942 003301
My Music: http://www.myspace.com/bettergangway

WhiteTigerShiro

ToJ seems to randomize it more often, but makes-up for it by allowing you to combo.  I once improved-out a 9 Ren combo working into some trash I was sent.  You could see my grin from miles away; it's one thing to get big combos in single-player when you're setting-up ideal fields for it, but another entirely when you get 'em on the fly against another player.
"Not all who wander are lost."  -J.R.R. Tolkien
http://whitetigershiro.blogspot.com/

hurtchow

Sometimes I think the Tetris Party garbage is geared up like that, too. It's cool do go through ~10 lines in a combo. I don't think the RNG is set up to do that, though. It seems to be just another statistical probability to get the right pieces at the right time.
Tetris DS Friend Code: 485942 003301
My Music: http://www.myspace.com/bettergangway

jujube

from the main screen in TOJ, go to multiplayer, then to the green area (the bottommost option) for 1v1. you can create or join rooms, and you can create a locked room and invite just one person if you want to play a true 1v1 match. otherwise up to 6 people can be in a room, where the winner keeps playing.