Strategic Tetromino Placement

Started by SpawN, October 02, 2009, 06:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpawN

While I was playing tetris today, I came up with the idea of a new tetris mode. A mode where speed is not on top of everything. The idea is to make as much points possible with gradually increasing speed without making holes in your stack. The main idea is that you shoud place every tetromino in a way that after it is dropped, your stack should still have a place for each type of tetromino. Basically, when you reach that case in multiplayer, you either hold that piece or you place your block in a way that it has a minimum negative effect on your stack. Basically, the surface of your stack is build in a way that not every tetromino block can fit somewhere on that stack.  However, since, there will be a huge amount of soft drops in such a mode,(for example, your stack is too flat and you get an S or Z and all you can do is place it straight down and then slide down an appropriate piece that will fill the empty space produced) soft drop should not be allowed. Also, to make things even harder, there should be no piece preview, or maybe only 1 piece preview. Moreover, this mode requires a lot of planning and estimating in advance and here speed will actually be your biggest enemy.

In my opinion, such a mode will be very interesting, mainly because it emphasizes the tetris puzzle element, but also because such a mode will be a great practice for developing good stacking skills.

What do you think about this idea?
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

Albert Einstein

Natsuko

Sounds like a pretty interesting challenge. I mean, I'm sure most players try their best to not make holes in their stacks, but to do it without softdrops would be much harder. I'm wondering how the points would be calculated in such a mode.

meow

sounds like gameboy tetris

if you want a real strategic challenge, beat people in vs that are faster than you

KevinDDR

Quote from: meow

if you want a real strategic challenge, play TGM and see just how far the rabbit hole goes.

GOOBZILLA

if you want a real strategic challenge, try eating your own face
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]

Goob's Money Crew[/div][div align=\\\"center\\\"]
[/div]

Blink

if you want a real strategic challenge, try playing Tetris DS vs SAMAF or hebo_MAI.  Tetris DS caps everyone at a similar speed, so it's a heavily a battle of skill.  The way they play is like poetry in motion  .

clincher

CCCombo Breaker!
BTW I agree with meow I enjoy playing players that are faster than me
It's all about the love

meow

true, though winning against people playing at a similar speed doesn't rank higher than beating people faster than you.

SpawN

It was just a proposal of something new. I just thought that not everything should depend on speed. Besides, I consider myself fast enough. Oh and by the way, I don't think a huge amount of strategy is required when playing against guys like Maserati for example, who basically kills himself most of the games. I bought myself keyboard, so i guess i`m gonna start playing blockbox again. I just hope i can get used to the small field and the official colors. Still though, strategy in blockbox is highly overrated. Keyboard crushing is definately in front of it on the list.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

Albert Einstein

zaphod77

seems like people are misunderstanding.

He wants something like the following.

1 piece preview.
no soft drop
contact lock, so you cannot use overhangs
no wallkicks.

And not only your score, but your number of holes is tracked.

You are ranked first by number of holes (smaller is better) then by score with in that.

clincher

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]Still though, strategy in blockbox is highly overrated.[/quote]
Please don't say that, I could say the same thing about this mode but I didn't I just said I would enjoy multiplayer more
It's all about the love

Natsuko

Quote from: zaphod77
seems like poeple are misunderstanding.

He wants something like the following.

! piece preview.
no soft drop
contact lock, so you cannot use overhangs
no wallkicks.

and -100k*level for every hole created.

So it's not the player that makes the most tetrises that wins, but the player that makes the least holes.
I liked the way you described it before you edited your post. Makes things pretty clear though

zaphod77

Quote from: Natsuko
I liked the way you described it before you edited your post. Makes things pretty clear though

Oh and it will have to not deal a S,Z, or O as first piece.

Anonymous

Quote from: clincher
Please don't say that, I could say the same thing about this mode but I didn't I just said I would enjoy multiplayer more

Agree!
My awesome downstacking guide, last updated (Jan 29, 2013): Downstacker's Guide to the Galaxy
Tired of the same old Tetris games? Read my idea for a revamped Tetris game! The Next