Lockjaw: The overdose (aka TOD)

Started by Azure-, November 30, 2009, 10:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azure-

Just curious, has anyone else played this? It's just a trippy Tetris clone, and as far as I know, it's not as customizable as Lockjaw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ctq1hrBWBI

Blink

I never played this, but it looks like it can cause a seizure lol.  BTW incase you didn't know, Tepples = the creator of those games.

tepples

When I made TOD (pronounced roughly like "tote"), I was still under the impression that The New Tetris for Nintendo 64 was really the new Tetris. So I kept most of the rules of TNT64 with a couple features from Tetris Blast (sticky gravity and fast sideways motion), and then I shortened the lock delay because people were complaining about "jiznickery" (Zangi misdrops), changed the step reset lockdown behavior slightly to limit floor kick abuse, turned off the idiotic smooth falling collision detection that required so-called "tactical rotation", and sped up the "square formation" and "T-spin avalanche" animations.

Tip: Make the silver squares and gold squares. Learn the patterns if you want to break a minute in 150 Dash.

If the effects make you sick, you can simulate TOD within Lockjaw with these settings:
  • Speed curve: Exponential
  • Randomizer: Memoryless
  • Hold: Random
  • Rotation system: TOD M4
  • Lockdown: Step reset
  • Lock delay: 13 frames (216 ms)
  • Line clear delay: 20 frames (333 ms)
  • Clear gravity: Sticky
  • Gluing: Square
  • Scoring: Fibonacci (called TNT64 in some versions)
  • Drop scoring: None
  • T-spin: Immobile
  • Soft drop: 1/2G
  • Next pieces: 3
  • Smooth gravity: Off

Azure-

Whoa, never knew the creator was on here haha. Cool. Thanks for making this interesting take on Tetris. I'm enjoying messing with my friends and such.

Never played any of the N64 games (were there multiple?). Was that why even after a hard drop, you can still move the piece?

tepples

The original idea for TOD came from Tetripz by Mute Fantasies. I prototyped it on PC (as "Tetanus On Drugs") in 2000 because I was dissatisfied with Tetripz's dependency on the dying operating system MS-DOS. Then I ported it to GBA because I was dissatisfied with the lag in Tetris Worlds for GBA. (Some of the lag was 3d6 Games' bad programming; the rest of the lag turned out to be a consequence of infinite spin.)

N64 had at least Magical Tetris and The New Tetris.

The Zangi-move, or sliding a piece after a drop, is something you can do in TAP and Ti too. I suspect H2O added Zangi-move to TNT64 because of all the sliding that players have to do to build squares. But like TNT64 and unlike TGM series, TOD has no manual lock.

When you pause the game, you can change the background. Change it to something other than "kaleid" if you don't want seizures.