Jstris QuickFires

Started by Okey_Dokey, September 16, 2017, 03:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okey_Dokey

Opium (OnePunMan, ISuckAtTetrisALot) wins Jstris Quickfire #8 (6 participants). Congratulations! 8 Quickfires, 8 different winners. It was the Quickfire with the most skilled participants so far. It was also the first Quickfire with some gameplay footage (ZeroT streamed it).

http://challonge.com/JstrisFire8

Quickfire #9 will be happening on the default time next week (Sunday, 11 AM PST, 8 PM CET). It's a change of pace tournament (odd number = odd rules). I think I will make it very similar to guideline Tetris but deactivate combos and disable garbage blocking (garbage blocking = delay incoming garbage while you make a combo).

Okey_Dokey

This week's Quickfire (#9) will take place on the default time: Sunday November 19th, 8 PM central europe time, 11 AM pacific standard time. Countdown. Registration will start 1 hour prior in HardDrop Discord and Jstris lobby chat.

Although it's a "change of pace" tournament, there's only one real difference from guideline: It will not reward any combos (no combos, 4 wide -> 0 lines sent). Likewise, combos won't delay incoming garbage (limited garbage blocking). Garbage messiness is set to 30 (forgot to say so in the rule desciption). Ruleset is called "NoCombos", preset ID is 17.

Okey_Dokey

AnomalousAberration (FireStorm58) wins Jstris Quickfire #9 ("NoComboQF", 6 participants), and that almost to 0. Congratulations! 9 Quickfires, 9 different winners.

http://challonge.com/JstrisFire9

Quickfire #10 will happen at the usual time (Sunday 11 am PST) and with the usual ruleset (guideline).

Okey_Dokey

Eddie wins Jstris Quickfire #10 (6 participants). Congratulations! 10 Quickfires, 10 different winners.

http://challonge.com/JstrisFire10

Some remarks to the upcoming Quickfires:

Tetris Tournament Online V (on Tetris Friends) is approaching and JstrisFire series will pause during that time. More precisely, I will host 2 further Quickfires and then I'll put the series on hold for a longer unknown period. I am not sure how much time I have after TTO5, so I can't guarantee that the JstrisFire series will immediately continue afterwards (unless somebody wants to host them instead of me).

For the next Quickfire, I plan to use an MPH ruleset (MPH = memoryless previewless holdless = the most evil ruleset = the Meme), probably on default time. And for the last Quickfire, I will make the players play with 3 different rulesets (in a match you will play let's say 6 games on each ruleset and then the points are counted together). The rulesets will be a selection of what ruleset we have used so far (maybe with small balance adjustments, e.g. nerf combos when they were too strong). I will create a poll about which rulesets to use. There's just one condition: there must be at least one ruleset without hold (which will also have not too many previews). I plan to host that tournament on a time spot which is good for American and Asian players (and bad for European players).

edit: Jstris Quickfire #11 will take place Sunday December 3rd, 11 AM PST (pacific standard time), 8 PM CET (central europe time). Countdown. It will use the meanest imaginable ruleset: MPH = Memoryless Previewless Holdless = the Meme. Players will play slower than 2 pieces per second (because no previews) and will have a hard time sending and downstacking lines (because memoryless randomizer, no previews, no hold). If you want to practice: ruleset is called MPH, preset ID is 20.

Okey_Dokey

caffeine wins Jstris Quickfire #11 (6 participants). Congratulations! caffeine is the first player to repeat a victory (after winning Quickfire #5). 3 players ended up winning the same amount of matches after beating each other (also happened in Quickfire #3), whereas caffeine had the best point difference.

http://challonge.com/JstrisFire11

Next Quickfire will be the last one for quite a while. Also, it will be a novelty in respect of using different rulesets. Tomorrow, I will create a poll about which rulesets to use and the time of day when it will be held.

edit: Poll results are in: Jstris Quickfire #12 will be  played on Quickfire, Classic and MPH rulesets. I think each match will consist of: 7 games on Quickfire (got most votes and rounds are shorter), 5 games on Classic, 5 games on MPH. It will start this Sunday 6 AM CET (Saturday 9 PM PST, Sunday 2 PM JST; CET = central europe, PST = California, JST = Japan) and it will run for 90 to 120 minutes. Countdown. Sign up period will start 1 hour prior (via Challonge and Discord). It will be the last Quickfire for quite a while, so I hope more people can join than usual.

Okey_Dokey

Opium (OnePunMan) wins Jstris Quickfire #12 (only 4 participants, 3 different rules were used). Congratulations! He proved that he can play decently on a big variety of Tetris rulesets.

http://challonge.com/JstrisFire12

Jstris Quickfire series goes on hiatus. My thanks go to all the players who have participated in the last 3 months.
List of all winners: caffeine (x2), Opium (x2), Profane, Captivate, ZeroT, Yotipo, ChokladTomte, cubixcreature, FireStorm58, Eddie.