HOME WORLD FORUMS WIKI VIDEOS
8608 members and stacking!
     Welcome guest, please login or sign up

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Perfect Clear Study - Phase 2, Sparta! (300 B2B PCs)
Mission Impossible: Completed!
How blown away are you by this!?
Oh my gosh, I think I just crapped my pants! [ 9 ] ** [56.25%]
Hmmm, this is pretty cool [ 6 ] ** [37.50%]
I'm a douchebag - this doesn't phase me at all... [ 1 ] ** [6.25%]
Total Votes: 16
Guests cannot vote 
Shuey
post Jan 4 2017, 07:53 PM
Post #1

Tetris Expert
Group Icon

(link to the Phase 1):
Shuey's Perfect Clear Study (Phase 1)

History has just been made with another "World's First", courtesy of your friendly neighborhood Tetris Renaissance Man! (Me of course! Sticking Out Tongue.png)

Link to Phase 2 documentation: Shuey's Perfect Clear Study (Phase 2 - Sparta!)

I've been living with a secret for over 2 years Grin.png... In December of 2014, QuestionMark and I decided to launch a second phase of my Perfect Clear Study. And when we did that, we initially tried to figure out our initial goals. One of the first things we decided is that we would try to achieve 300 B2B PCs, and gave the project an AKA name of "Sparta!".

We of course were really excited when we first got started, and we knocked out about 40 or more PCs within the first couple weeks (we were still busy with every day life, so 40+ PCs felt like good progress for us at the time). But shortly after that, we both got so busy with life that we ended up taking an indefinite hiatus Frown.png.

After nearly 2 full years of no activity on the project, I finally got the fire back less than 2 weeks ago and I became so obsessed with not only working on the project again, but with finishing it as well!

All of the information about the study is stored in the link at the top of this thread. Please take the time to at least read the "Preface" worksheet, and reply back to this thread with comments, question, praises, etc! smile.gif

--------------------
Subscribe to me on YouTube
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Danieru
post Jan 4 2017, 08:20 PM
Post #2

Tetris Apprentice
Group Icon

QUOTE(Shuey @ Jan 4 2017, 07:53 PM) *

(link to the Phase 1):
Shuey's Perfect Clear Study (Phase 1)

History has just been made with another "World's First", courtesy of your friendly neighborhood Tetris Renaissance Man! (Me of course! Sticking Out Tongue.png)

Link to Phase 2 documentation: Shuey's Perfect Clear Study (Phase 2 - Sparta!)

I've been living with a secret for over 2 years Grin.png... In December of 2014, QuestionMark and I decided to launch a second phase of my Perfect Clear Study. And when we did that, we initially tried to figure out our initial goals. One of the first things we decided is that we would try to achieve 300 B2B PCs, and gave the project an AKA name of "Sparta!".

We of course were really excited when we first got started, and we knocked out about 40 or more PCs within the first couple weeks (we were still busy with every day life, so 40+ PCs felt like good progress for us at the time). But shortly after that, we both got so busy with life that we ended up taking an indefinite hiatus Frown.png.

After nearly 2 full years of no activity on the project, I finally got the fire back less than 2 weeks ago and I became so obsessed with not only working on the project again, but with finishing it as well!

All of the information about the study is stored in the link at the top of this thread. Please take the time to at least read the "Preface" worksheet, and reply back to this thread with comments, question, praises, etc! smile.gif

Perfect!

'Here is courage, mankind's finest possession, here is the noblest prize that a young man can endeavor to win.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Okey_Dokey
post Jan 4 2017, 09:40 PM
Post #3

Tetris Professional
Group Icon

Did you sometimes have to revert your last perfect clear to have another piece on hold for your next perfect clear? I assume it's possible to play forever making perfect clears every 4 lines if you let the correct piece on hold for the next PC.

Note that NullpoMino repeats the piece sequence after 1400 pieces ( 140 x 4 lines perfect clears). So, from 13 min 40 sec onwards you could have stacked the perfect clears exactly the same way as from 0 min onwards (since your very first piece corresponded to the piece you had on hold after 140 perfect clears).
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Shuey
post Jan 4 2017, 10:23 PM
Post #4

Tetris Expert
Group Icon

The spreadsheet has notes on which sequences I needed to "tweak" in order to keep moving forward - check it out when you have time.

I didn't realize that about the repeat. That makes sense now because I remember seeing a sequence that I saw before and I thought "What are the odds of that happening!?".

Even if I HAD known about the repeat, I still would've done the PC differently because one of my goals was to make each one unique (if possible / and I say "if possible" because I didn't verify that I never repeated a pattern because it was too difficult to verify that many patterns :-S).

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
caffeine
post Jan 4 2017, 11:03 PM
Post #5

Tetris Grand Master
Group Icon

That must've taken a while to do. Props.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Danieru
post Jan 5 2017, 01:54 AM
Post #6

Tetris Apprentice
Group Icon

How many tries did this take approximately? it's amazing!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Shuey
post Jan 5 2017, 02:10 AM
Post #7

Tetris Expert
Group Icon

QUOTE(Danieru @ Jan 5 2017, 01:54 AM) *

How many tries did this take approximately? it's amazing!

One! smile.gif It was all planned and strategized as I went along. Once I had every PC calculated, I fired up Nullpomino and played each 10 piece sequence one-at-a-time. I analyzed each sequence and verbally called out the order of the pieces (often times in groups of either 3, 3 and 4, or 5 and 5) and paused momentarily after each PC so I could analyze the next sequence.

As you can imagine, this all took a lot of time and effort (building the spreadsheets, manually writing down the sequence of pieces after the 140th one suddenly didn't match up with the original sequence I had generated with the sequencer, drawing each PC in grids in the sheets, documenting all of the info, verifying that all of the data was correct as I continued through the project, the time it took to add 301 "callouts" before rendering the video, etc - you get the point, lol).

It was definitely a labor of love - I really enjoyed every bit of it smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Taiga
post Mar 31 2017, 08:22 PM
Post #8

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Holy smokes this is amazing Shuey!! I was randomly digging through forums for PC threads and just found this goldmine haha. Until now Misamino's 40PC video was my main resource but this SPARTA 300PC exhibition is insane Confused.png

Is there a way for me to play this sequence as well in my Nullpomino client? I'm a kinesthetic learner so in addition to studying fumens/diagrams it helps a lot to actually play out the sequences myself. I've tried using the sequencer.bat file but not sure how to work it lol, so instead I just drop like 50 pieces and top out, use a program to find PCs, then open the replay file and press rerecord to play that again. That said, if you could either provide the replay file or explain how I can generate a custom sequence, I would really appreciate it!

Also, have you ever tried freestyle PCs? You're very strong with pattern-building and invisible tetris, meaning you can probably visualize a sequence and rule out obvious dead ends before dropping a piece, allowing you to play much more deliberately. Also, from manually performing 300 PCs, did you happen to notice some major patterns while playing?

For instance, some common ones I use:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The more setup patterns we can become familiar with, the better smile.gif

--------------------
"Practice Makes Perfect Never Give Up Pizza Power!"
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
CosmicCommunist
post Mar 31 2017, 11:17 PM
Post #9

Tetris Apprentice
Group Icon

This is literally the sexiest Tetris video in existence LargeGasp.png
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Shuey
post Apr 1 2017, 09:19 PM
Post #10

Tetris Expert
Group Icon

QUOTE(Taiga @ Mar 31 2017, 08:22 PM) *

Holy smokes this is amazing Shuey!! I was randomly digging through forums for PC threads and just found this goldmine haha. Until now Misamino's 40PC video was my main resource but this SPARTA 300PC exhibition is insane Confused.png

Is there a way for me to play this sequence as well in my Nullpomino client? I'm a kinesthetic learner so in addition to studying fumens/diagrams it helps a lot to actually play out the sequences myself. I've tried using the sequencer.bat file but not sure how to work it lol, so instead I just drop like 50 pieces and top out, use a program to find PCs, then open the replay file and press rerecord to play that again. That said, if you could either provide the replay file or explain how I can generate a custom sequence, I would really appreciate it!

Also, have you ever tried freestyle PCs? You're very strong with pattern-building and invisible tetris, meaning you can probably visualize a sequence and rule out obvious dead ends before dropping a piece, allowing you to play much more deliberately. Also, from manually performing 300 PCs, did you happen to notice some major patterns while playing?

For instance, some common ones I use:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The more setup patterns we can become familiar with, the better smile.gif

Thanks Taiga, I'm really happy that people are super jazzed about how amazing this video is! smile.gif

I've used the sequencer before, but it was so long ago, I don't recall how to use it :-S... There are definitely posts about it though in the forums (especially from Blitz). Also, IIRC, there are some posts about how to export the sequence from a replay file. So, worst case scenario, you could play a game for as many lines that you want, and then export that sequence to a text file. Hopefully you'll find some good info through a forum search Wink.png.

I've tried freestyle PCs, and am "decent" at best :-/. I'm sure if I pushed myself to improve, I could. But I've never been too motivated to complete B2B PCs "on-the-fly".

In terms of patterns spotted from PCs: Yes, totally! I actually have a big Google Sheet where I started collecting them a few years ago. The goal someday was to have every possible PC listed, while also doing some analysis on the findings, and organizing it (possibly with differen sorting methods). I hope that project can be completed someday (if not by me, by SOMEONE)!

QUOTE(CosmicCommunist @ Mar 31 2017, 11:17 PM) *

This is literally the sexiest Tetris video in existence LargeGasp.png

Thanks CC! It's always a pleasure to hear feedback like this! smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

©2009-2018 Hard Drop Community & Forum
harddrop.com is not sponsored or endorsed by The Tetris Company or its subsidiaries.