3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NES Tetris Strategy Guide Book - Need Feedback
Kitaru
post Jun 16 2014, 07:39 AM
Post #31

Tetris Grand Master
Group Icon

I need to look over the pole vaulting stuff when I get a chance. I'm not exactly an expert with it on-the-fly, but my understanding from how Jonas does it is that it is most useful when you do things like 180 an L, J, or T to get it further away from the stack than the default stance, or rotate something vertically for a moment to clear a hurdle before righting it back to the horizontal position somewhere on the other side. Not to say the I-piece example is off-base, but it's something that would happen with the piece in its natural spawn orientation so it feels like it may not be the best example (at least from my understanding).

Also, regarding the "extended tap" where you build a partial DAS charge in open air off of a tap, I'd feel a bit uneasy with it compared to a wall tech but it kind of depends on the circumstances. You can't be sure of the value on the counter, and you're kind of screwed if you overshoot the timing and it shifts again (unless it's safe in both positions, in which case you might just want "walk the piece" both steps to have confirmed 10+). If you have a tall enough surface to tech off of, you almost certainly want that instead. If you're confident enough in your ability to hit two frame windows, you might still go for the tech recovery instead of "walking" it. I guess it's a matter of what you're comfortable with in that moment and what the consequences for failure might be.

Also, I don't know if it's all that worthy of inclusion, but it's technically possible to switch directions while a piece is active without losing DAS. You do this by using a diagonal input, as pressing down to drop a piece "mutes" the first frame of left/right input that would normally cause a tap shift (and similarly, having left/right held prevents soft drop from engaging). So, you can do these pseudo- half circle motions to change directions without dropping charge (though, the only strictly necessary inputs in the maneuver after the DAS "forward" are the diagonal+back -> back). I've jokingly referred to it as a "red fireball" in reference to Ryu's half-circle forward + punch version of the hadouken in Super Turbo, which I guess would keep with the tradition of giving Street Fighter 2 names to motions that vaguely resemble fighting games (a la "Zangi Moves" in the TGM series).

--------------------
My Backloggery
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ixbrian
post Jun 17 2014, 04:49 AM
Post #32

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kitaru @ Jun 16 2014, 07:39 AM) *

I need to look over the pole vaulting stuff when I get a chance. I'm not exactly an expert with it on-the-fly, but my understanding from how Jonas does it is that it is most useful when you do things like 180 an L, J, or T to get it further away from the stack than the default stance, or rotate something vertically for a moment to clear a hurdle before righting it back to the horizontal position somewhere on the other side. Not to say the I-piece example is off-base, but it's something that would happen with the piece in its natural spawn orientation so it feels like it may not be the best example (at least from my understanding).

Also, regarding the "extended tap" where you build a partial DAS charge in open air off of a tap, I'd feel a bit uneasy with it compared to a wall tech but it kind of depends on the circumstances. You can't be sure of the value on the counter, and you're kind of screwed if you overshoot the timing and it shifts again (unless it's safe in both positions, in which case you might just want "walk the piece" both steps to have confirmed 10+). If you have a tall enough surface to tech off of, you almost certainly want that instead. If you're confident enough in your ability to hit two frame windows, you might still go for the tech recovery instead of "walking" it. I guess it's a matter of what you're comfortable with in that moment and what the consequences for failure might be.

Also, I don't know if it's all that worthy of inclusion, but it's technically possible to switch directions while a piece is active without losing DAS. You do this by using a diagonal input, as pressing down to drop a piece "mutes" the first frame of left/right input that would normally cause a tap shift (and similarly, having left/right held prevents soft drop from engaging). So, you can do these pseudo- half circle motions to change directions without dropping charge (though, the only strictly necessary inputs in the maneuver after the DAS "forward" are the diagonal+back -> back). I've jokingly referred to it as a "red fireball" in reference to Ryu's half-circle forward + punch version of the hadouken in Super Turbo, which I guess would keep with the tradition of giving Street Fighter 2 names to motions that vaguely resemble fighting games (a la "Zangi Moves" in the TGM series).

Let me know if you or anyone else have ideas for a better Pole Vaulting example. I played around with it for awhile and the "I" piece example was the best I came up with.

Good point regarding the Extended Tap - I've added in extra text pointing out that it should generally only be used when other options to charge DAS are not available, and that a wall charge would be the way to go if available.

The Red Fireball is really awesome. I was surprised at how easy it is to do. I've added a section for it:

IPB Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Kitaru
post Jun 18 2014, 03:45 AM
Post #33

Tetris Grand Master
Group Icon

Looks good. You could also highlight that the only strictly necessary inputs other than the starting DAS left are the down-right and right. So, it's technically possible to switch directions with just one intermediary frame (the down-away frame that "mutes" the tap), and then it's just a matter of how much you have on the counter before it starts moving again.

--------------------
My Backloggery
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Kitaru
post Jul 10 2014, 07:47 AM
Post #34

Tetris Grand Master
Group Icon

If it's not too late to suggest things, maybe the pole vaulting section can talk about how L/J/T move one space further away from the stack when rotated twice? I think that's a better way of getting across how pole vaulting can be advantageous.

--------------------
My Backloggery
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ixbrian
post Jul 10 2014, 04:31 PM
Post #35

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kitaru @ Jul 10 2014, 07:47 AM) *

If it's not too late to suggest things, maybe the pole vaulting section can talk about how L/J/T move one space further away from the stack when rotated twice? I think that's a better way of getting across how pole vaulting can be advantageous.

I'm definitely still looking for any suggestions Smile.png. I'm a couple of days away from submitting it to be published so if anyone has any other suggestions let me know. That is a great idea about the pole vaulting and I'll get it added. Thanks.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Alexandra
post Jul 11 2014, 05:27 PM
Post #36

Tetris Apprentice
Group Icon

Pretty cool. When i was looking at the stats for blocks. I KNEW IT! I always had a hunch that the blue L-block came out more often than the orange one!!!!!!! No one believed me though. Frown.png
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ixbrian
post Jul 24 2014, 02:56 PM
Post #37

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

For those interested, the book is now available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Tricks-Classic-NES-T.../dp/1500542199/

Thanks again everyone for all the feedback! I think the book turned out great, and I ended up making a lot of changes and additions since the last version posted here. And thanks to Alex who wrote a great foreword for the book as well.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ixbrian
post Dec 27 2014, 02:40 AM
Post #38

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

For those interested:

Sisu here on the forum hooked me up with Patrick Scott Patterson who did a post about the book: http://www.patrickscottpatterson.com/#!...DA-211806791002

Sisu also hooked me up with Syd Bolton who did a review of the book: http://www.ae-infinite.com/2014/09/review-...nes-tetris.html

I was also lucky enough to be able to help sponser the 5th Annual Classic Tetris World Championship! Very cool.

I've also recently posted several videos to Youtube about NES Tetris that you might be interested in:

NES Tetris: How to do Spins (aka T-Spins): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5RWAe88NH0
NES Tetris: Basics of DAS (Delayed Auto Shift) Piece Movement, DAS Video 1 of 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W39VmyLLRuk
NES Tetris: How to do a DAS Wall Charge. DAS Video 2 of 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6oMKzqhcuo
NES Tetris: How to Keep DAS Charge and How to Lose it. DAS Video 3 of 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDR4Rdz-LIE
NES Tetris: How to do DAS Skill Stopping. DAS Video 4 of 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rqs-_sD3jo
NES Tetris: Advanced DAS Techniques. DAS Video 5 of 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cof3yki_OF8
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

©2009-2019 Hard Drop Community & Forum
harddrop.com is not sponsored or endorsed by The Tetris Company or its subsidiaries.