2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tetris Olympics [prep]
myndzi
post Dec 31 2012, 02:24 AM
Post #1

Tetris Grand Master
Group Icon

Hey guys. We've had a couple attempts at this idea, but I think we can do more. It's been getting a little slow around here, so now's a great time. Here's what I have in mind:

* Weekly events scheduled on weekends, fixed time, with streaming
* Live performances
* Events that demonstrate a wide range of Tetris skills
* Compete in as few or as many events as you like (you can compete for a single week or the whole event)

I want to run a few events at a time, but keep the max weekly commitment to 2-4 hours, this also depends on streamer support. We'll be on their schedule to an extent.

As well, I'd like to see if it's feasible spread the events across as many clients/games as possible. That means we might hit up anything from TOP to Tetrinet. This thread is for feedback on which events you'd like to see/participate in. I've compiled a list of possibles, please post in favor or disfavor of any of these. New suggestions should meet a couple criteria: 1) demonstrate practical Tetris skills (not looking for tetri-art in this case, etc.) 2) be implementable on an existing client

Here are my current ideas:

[Blockbox]
Survivor
Doubles
TGM modes? Prefer Nullpomino?

[Nullpomino]
Line race (speed): 10, 40, 100 lines
Dig race (speed): 5, 10, 18 lines
Combo race (max combo -> fastest completion): 20, 40, 100 lines
Ultra-based modes:
  • Most perfect clears: 1, 3, 5 minutes
  • Playing forever (full loop): fastest completion
  • Secret grade (most lines -> fastest completion)

[Tetris Friends]
Survival
Ultra

[Tetrinet]
7 tetris? others?

[Cultris 2]
??

[Other things]
Performances**
Not Tetris?
Keyblox?

[VS tournaments]
KoS?
Tetrinet cookies?

[Things that might need programming to execute]
Attack race (no such mode)
Gem mania (no such netplay mode, custom maps)
Retro mania (no such netplay mode)
Nullpo practice (no such netplay) - sandbox for things like the playing forever challenge
Tetris link :V

**Performances: Akin to competitions that get graded (diving, skating, whatever); you'd have an amount of time to perform and you would submit a list of things you intend to do (setups, I suppose). You'd be graded by judges based on the difficulty of your routine and how well you pulled it off. I think this could be pretty interesting.

Have at it.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Paradox
post Dec 31 2012, 07:41 AM
Post #2

Tetris Grand Master
Group Icon

So the performances would be a kind of like a tetris freestyle? That sounds like it could be kind of cool.

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
myndzi
post Dec 31 2012, 07:53 AM
Post #3

Tetris Grand Master
Group Icon

Well, freestyle is where you just do whatever. A pre-planned performance requires 'calling your shot' so to speak. Either would be interesting, but I don't think "freestyle" would be as interesting...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paradox
post Dec 31 2012, 11:40 AM
Post #4

Tetris Grand Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(myndzi @ Dec 31 2012, 07:53 AM) *

Well, freestyle is where you just do whatever. A pre-planned performance requires 'calling your shot' so to speak. Either would be interesting, but I don't think "freestyle" would be as interesting...

I was thinking something like

tsd gives x points
pc gives x points

b2b pc gives x points

then the player just does whatever they do best and tries to score a lot of points. Sort of like ultra except all the scores changed so they are relative to difficulty and other criteria

seems like that kind of thing could be cool.

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul676
post Dec 31 2012, 01:28 PM
Post #5

Tetris Grand Master
Group Icon

A mix of Para's and myndzi's ideas are how they actually do it in gymnastics and ice skating and imo how we should do it here.

You have a set of moves which gives x points.

You have back to back bonuses (e.g. a quad toe immediately followed by a triple lutz is better than them performed separately).

The athletes submit a routine. If the routine has a move not in the set of moves, the judge decides how it should be graded. Might I suggest grading moves based on the belts I put them in........

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
SecretSalander
post Dec 31 2012, 02:55 PM
Post #6

Tetris Apprentice
Group Icon

QUOTE(Paul676 @ Dec 31 2012, 08:28 AM) *

A mix of Para's and myndzi's ideas are how they actually do it in gymnastics and ice skating and imo how we should do it here.

You have a set of moves which gives x points.

You have back to back bonuses (e.g. a quad toe immediately followed by a triple lutz is better than them performed separately).

The athletes submit a routine. If the routine has a move not in the set of moves, the judge decides how it should be graded. Might I suggest grading moves based on the belts I put them in........

I think something like this would be interesting; with more complicated t spins getting more points and such. So would a DT cannon get more points than just a double and b2b triple?

--------------------
40 line sprint in Nullpomino: 32.88
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
post Dec 31 2012, 08:52 PM
Post #7

Well no Olympics would be complete without a marathon Wink.png How about having a Marathon race to see who can finish 15 levels the fastest? This would essentially be a long distance Sprint battle but with the added elements of gravity control and endurance. I feel this event would be super intense and also provide players more versatility, utilizing various techniques to score as most points as possible to end the levels quicker, rather than simply the standard Tetris found in 40L...boring! Maybe there could be bonus challenges as well, such as making the most T-spins in marathon, or swapping every single piece for the whole game (would be fun at level 15 lol) (actually, this is alot harder than i thought...its like trying to draw a continuous 8 with ur finger while a continuous 6 with ur foot ><)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
myndzi
post Jan 1 2013, 12:09 AM
Post #8

Tetris Grand Master
Group Icon

That was my intent... Smile.png

QUOTE(Panda @ Dec 31 2012, 08:52 PM) *

How about having a Marathon race to see who can finish 15 levels the fastest?

This fits best with the TGM games. SRS Marathon is kind of a joke, but TGM Marathon is definitely event-worthy.

Also, how do you guys feel about the other items mentioned? Multiplayer tournaments would span the course of the entire event; the rest would be conducted with qualifying rounds and finals, I need to research the formats used in the Olympics but I think they will be well suited. We could make this into a pretty big thing, and I think it will be really fun. That said, do you think there are too many potential events? Would you rather see a tighter grouping?

Also also, any coders willing to chip in to add what's needed to Nullpomino for some of these?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul676
post Jan 1 2013, 01:22 AM
Post #9

Tetris Grand Master
Group Icon

http://harddrop.com/forums/index.php?showt...=4253&st=10 for speed tf marathon

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
qwerty098765
post Jan 1 2013, 04:51 AM
Post #10

Tetris Apprentice
Group Icon

I don't think I can do moderately well in anything other than Nottetris (in comparison to other Hard Droppers) therefore I vote for a simple endurance event in Nottetris for the Tetris Olympics.

It should bring out a few giggles too and apply to tetris pros and amateurs alike.

--------------------
IPB Image ...
IPB Image DotDotDot
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
myndzi
post Jan 1 2013, 05:23 AM
Post #11

Tetris Grand Master
Group Icon

I like the idea of using Not Tetris too. It would be by points, since there's no reliable timer, but the trouble is that players would have to stream their play; there's no spectating capability, and the point of this is to be a live event... maybe someone else wants to dig into the scripting language it's written in and see what might be done?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
myndzi
post Jan 5 2013, 03:16 AM
Post #12

Tetris Grand Master
Group Icon

bumpan'. Do you guys wanna see this happen or what? Gimme some idea of the interest level...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
qwerty098765
post Jan 5 2013, 03:47 PM
Post #13

Tetris Apprentice
Group Icon

(Sort of interested but I've already replied~!)

--------------------
IPB Image ...
IPB Image DotDotDot
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
MarioThePhenom
post Jan 5 2013, 04:20 PM
Post #14

Tetris Professional
Group Icon

im down for this

--------------------
IPB Image
QUOTE(Panda @ Mar 9 2013, 05:28 AM) *
Lol no, that's ludacris. I have a sentence generator, Blink....
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
myndzi
post Jan 6 2013, 12:18 AM
Post #15

Tetris Grand Master
Group Icon

Yeah, don't worry if you already replied. With the amount of people who have posted, this is way too many events; I need more interested parties or fewer events...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

©2009-2019 Hard Drop Community & Forum
harddrop.com is not sponsored or endorsed by The Tetris Company or its subsidiaries.