HOME WORLD FORUMS WIKI VIDEOS RECORDS
7058 members and stacking!
     Welcome guest, please login or sign up

Live Stream Calendar
5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What stops new players from being involved?
Greenhouse
post Jan 27 2012, 02:52 AM
Post #41

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

I think its the fact that you have to be somewhat dedicated to improve in playing.
Many people told me to go to blockbox or nullpomino or whatever and play 40 lines forever until I got good at it.
I didn't really find any fun in doing that. Just playing for hours didn't do the trick either. I'm too stubborn to change my entire playing style, but I constantly got owned by doing so. There was no one at my level either, players were either much better or much worse than me.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
XaeL
post Jan 27 2012, 03:11 AM
Post #42

Tetris Grand Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Greenhouse @ Jan 27 2012, 02:52 AM) *

I think its the fact that you have to be somewhat dedicated to improve in playing.

Problem is with new players not community. /thread.

alternative response to thread:
me. /thread.

--------------------
IPB Image

QUOTE(Paradox @ Dec 16 2010 @ 05:52 PM)
Like many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bigwig
post Jan 27 2012, 04:12 AM
Post #43

Tetris Apprentice
Group Icon

QUOTE(XaeL @ Jan 27 2012, 03:11 AM) *

Problem is with new players not community. /thread.

alternative response to thread:
me. /thread.

In all seriousness, I agree.

alternative:
I double agree.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
belzebub
post Jan 27 2012, 07:55 AM
Post #44

Tetris Apprentice
Group Icon

I started playing Tetris almost a year ago and I played on Tetris Friends, because it was on Facebook and it was all over the place. With the watching option I saw rank 20 players like Giant_Douche and Chopin doing incredible things and I wanted to learn those things too, so I quickly found harddrop. I think the community is awesome and i felt no problem to start discussing and blending in. The best guide for beginners for me was Noogy's guide.

I think only a small percentage of the players are so dedicated to Tetris that they will study setups and go discussing about it.

I personally like NM, but the problem is for me:
  • the setup
  • there is almost never somebody on when i log in (i'm from Europe)
  • if somebody is on, he is way too pro to play against
  • the layout is old school
  • there is no real chat going on

It's java so I think I could easily make it an applet and make it available by just browsing to a website (so you won't have to download it and do a setup). Another good thing of TF is that it has this ranking system, you want to get higher in rank and you always play against people of the same rank. The ranking feature of NM seems okay for me to use.

Easy acces on a site, a good chatting opportunity and a good ranking system can be key enablers to attrack more players to the 'real' stuff. Idk what you think about it.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

©2009-2014 Hard Drop Community & Forum
harddrop.com is not sponsored or endorsed by The Tetris Company or its subsidiaries.