I'm quite new to this game (you might've seen me lurking around in Nullpo's netplay, or in random platinum games on TF, watching how pros play).
I've been planning to post this topic for awhile but never got to it...anyway...
I'm just some random tetris noob, and here in this topic, I will tell my story on how I got into this game and how I am improving, which will hopefully be of some help to some other newbie soul out there.
tl;dr; warning, wall-of-text coming upPart 1. My induction to tetris
Summary: I suck, I'm a noob, and it's probably not worth reading unless you're bored.
Some backstory... You see, I semi-regularly read the webcomic xkcd, and one day, I saw this comic:xkcd: Heaven
As per my usual habit, I went to the xkcd forums to read about the current comic.
And I read that it had a counter-part comic, "Hell"
Sadly (or not), the poster did NOT link the comic. If he had, it would've ended there.
So I went to google and searched for it.
And lo and behold, I was greeted with the video: "TGM HOLiC aka Jin8 playing TGM3" (Invisible tetris).
I was dumbfounded.
I immediately did a google search for "TGM HOLiC" (or something similar, I can't recall
And then... I found harddrop.com as the first search result.
I went to the homepage, which had the top news as LapSiLap's new WR.
I watched the video, and I was again dumbfounded.
And excited and exhilarated.
Something ticked in my mind... it was saying: "this is a learnable skill!!".
Let me explain... I'm a skill-monger. I collect seemingly "superhuman" skills.
I am a (sorry if some of these don't make sense):
- sub-20 speed cuber (i.e. I can solve a rubik's cube in less than 20 secs)
- I can lightdash on Tekken (i.e. I can do 4-5 crouch dashes per second, and I can regularly perform crazy stunts in TTT like EWGF_ws+2, TGF)
- I can perfect any official DDR song (from 1st mix to supernova only, not yet at the 100% marvelous level though, but quite close... when I quit
- I play MSP or combofiend on MvC2 (and love stuff like Mag's ROM combo or slide infinite)
- I also play O2JAM. Never made it to uber-pro levels though (like CH.Free's perfect Earthquake run) since they cancelled O2JAM in our country quite a bit after I started playing, but I made it to a level where I can consistently perfect V3 hard
- etc. etc.
So seeing a site full of "superhuman" tetris players, I could not resist the desire of being among the ranks of such people. I immediately jump into the fray.