Nullpo Tetris League: SEASON TWO HAS BEGUN

Started by Rosti_LFC, January 03, 2011, 03:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosti_LFC

Gameplay & Scoring

All divisions shall run on Nullpomino 7.5 netplay, using the default TOJ rated settings only. You shall play each opponent in your division once only. There are no rematches.

Matches will be played as a first to 15 wins with a two-game winning margin. For each match, the lose will receive the same number of points as games they won. The winner will receive 15 points plus bonus points equal to the winning margin. Any games which score higher than 15-13 will be treated as 15-13 games for scoring purposes.

Match results should be reported in this thread by either player (and are subject to dispute).

Season Two[/u]

Season Two has started, and will run until Sunday 29th May. Players are responsible for arranging their own matches.

At the end of the season, players in positions marked in green will be promoted, players in red will be relegated, and players in yellow and orange will face promotion and relegation play-offs.

SEASON TWO CURRENT STANDINGS AND RESULTS

Pending Sign-Ups:
SendMoreCorpses
mayojjin
dkorn725
dinile
ShadowJetX

Results Archive[/u]

Season One Final Standings & Results

Also, if someone would like to volunteer to help me out updating the Google docs, it'd be appreciated. Even more so if someone would like to code webpages so this is a slightly bigger and more professional and automated project.

Paul676

I think Challonge has a league system.

I'd say that it should be tf/nullpo with tspins only, however much I'd rather blockbox. Or you could run simultaneous leagues, blockbox and nullpo. But it should be the same level of spins/combos on both, since otherwise you'd get someone good with spins or combos but bad with speed bouncing from division to division.

Also because some people refuse to play blockbox because of previews and whatever.

edit: screw that, make it blockbox, I wanna do well
               Tetris Belts!

Alexsweden

Sounds cool

May I ask why you dont like TOJ?

Also if you want to change ure system why not have a point per won game? So a 15-7 gives 15p to winner and 7p to loser. And let the cap be 15p per game so the winning with 2 cant be abused.

Paul676

what about a 15-7 give 8 points to the winner and -8 points to the loser?
               Tetris Belts!

Rosti_LFC

Quote from: Paul676
But it should be the same level of spins/combos on both, since otherwise you'd get someone good with spins or combos but bad with speed bouncing from division to division.
Yeah, this is my main reason for not wanting a TF/Blockbox split.

Quote from: Alexsweden
May I ask why you dont like TOJ?

Also if you want to change ure system why not have a point per won game? So a 15-7 gives 15p to winner and 7p to loser. And let the cap be 15p per game so the winning with 2 cant be abused.
I'm sceptical of having to use a game which needs to be played in Japanese or on a patched/hacked version. I'll give it some playing this week, and if I reckon it'll do the job well enough (or if enough people vouch for it) then I'll probably go with a TOJ/TF split.
Points won per game doesn't give enough point difference for a game that finishes 15-13. I feel like the winner should get more than just the two extra points for winning. Giving a flat extra point bonus to the winner might work though (say +3 for winning by 0-5, +5 for winning by 5-10 and +10 for by 10-15 or something).

Quote from: Paul676
what about a 15-7 give 8 points to the winner and -8 points to the loser?
Because then playing against someone you know will beat you is stupid - all you're going to do is lose yourself points. The idea of giving points to the loser means that there's a large incentive to play all your matches because generally the people who play the most matches will end up with more points, which in a fairly small division should in theory mean all the games get played. Whatever scoring system I use will grant points even for losses, because it's the best way to motivate people to play all their games, even if they're likely to lose them.

lmartins

If the player schedules are the same (everyone plays everyone else once or twice, etc) then I don't see a problem with your current scoring system.  It seems like the most fair way to keep up with scoring without having to consider points given up in the standings.

Paul676

but if you don't play your game, you get -15...
               Tetris Belts!

ZeroT

TOJ is great for this kinda stuff...It (imo) has the best multiplayer gameplay around. That is once you get it setup properly and comfortably.
☠ ZeroT

Paul676

NP>TOJ, because it's more customisable, and it's in English, and has better multi gameplay than TOJ, which is crap for linesends (imo), and it doesn't have instand das, which I need to play well
               Tetris Belts!

Profane

why not just simply give players the matches they won.  If you win 15-8 then the winner gets 15 and the loser gets 8.  cap it at 16 if you win an overtime match then winner gets 16 loser gets 15.  it would suck for someone who got shut out but the point of the divisions is to have less shutouts right.  eventually you would have closer matches.  or at least thats what you're striving for.

Rosti_LFC

Played a bit of TOJ today, and quite like it. Almost certainly going to be a toss-up between TOJ and Nullpomino (t-spins, most likely no combos, no perfect clear).

Leaning towards TOJ because it's a bit friendlier and easier to get going (with the English patch at least), and there's no scope to debate or screw up over the precise rule settings because they're already defined by the game.

Paul676

The problem with TOJ is that it nullifies speed advantage in highest level play, because of its settings. It has disgustingly slow AR speed. It's fine if you put lower leagues as TOJ, but please make higher leagues TOJ rules on nullpo, since that way one can have a speed advantage without AR and line clear delays, whilst keeping TOJ rules
               Tetris Belts!

lmartins

Quote from: Profane
why not just simply give players the matches they won.  If you win 15-8 then the winner gets 15 and the loser gets 8.  cap it at 16 if you win an overtime match then winner gets 16 loser gets 15.  it would suck for someone who got shut out but the point of the divisions is to have less shutouts right.  eventually you would have closer matches.  or at least thats what you're striving for.

Because then a 15-0 win would be the same as a 15-13 win.  

Also why should someone who had to take more than 15 games to win get more points than someone who shut out their opponent?

Rosti_LFC

Quote from: lmartins
Also why should someone who had to take more than 15 games to win get more points than someone who shut out their opponent?
Yeah, whatever scoring system I use, any final score that goes past 15 will be equivalent to 15-13.

Paradox

Why don't all divisions run on NullpoMino?
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]