> 4-Wide Guide, library of knowledge regarding 4-wide combos
Rating  4
xbxcv
post Dec 5 2011, 08:53 AM
Post #81

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

QUOTE(jkwon23 @ Dec 4 2011, 11:40 AM) *

Try stacking flat. After looking at your previews, go for the form that will least likely get you stuck. Study some 4 wide stacking patterns on the wiki so you can get an idea. Also remember that there must be 3 units in the middle for the combo to initiate. You can use any piece for the starter as long as there are 3 units or + 4n units in the 4 wide gap (n = number of tetris blocks) because 4 units are bound to be cleared away.
Here are some videos that might help with your 4w:
http://harddrop.com/videos/id_512/title_21-combo-into-a-pc/
http://harddrop.com/videos/id_369/title_re...an-of-miracles/
http://harddrop.com/videos/id_371/title_nu...mino-100-lines/

what do u mean when stacking flat sorry newb here
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
xbxcv
post Dec 5 2011, 08:53 AM
Post #82

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

QUOTE(jkwon23 @ Dec 4 2011, 11:40 AM) *

Try stacking flat. After looking at your previews, go for the form that will least likely get you stuck. Study some 4 wide stacking patterns on the wiki so you can get an idea. Also remember that there must be 3 units in the middle for the combo to initiate. You can use any piece for the starter as long as there are 3 units or + 4n units in the 4 wide gap (n = number of tetris blocks) because 4 units are bound to be cleared away.
Here are some videos that might help with your 4w:
http://harddrop.com/videos/id_512/title_21-combo-into-a-pc/
http://harddrop.com/videos/id_369/title_re...an-of-miracles/
http://harddrop.com/videos/id_371/title_nu...mino-100-lines/

what do u mean when stacking flat sorry newb here
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jkwon23
post Dec 9 2011, 01:48 AM
Post #83

Tetris Expert
Group Icon

try to balance your stack

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
xbxcv
post Dec 9 2011, 09:59 AM
Post #84

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

i can stack well with side but not with mid Frown.png hahaha.. i guees ill use side
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jkwon23
post Dec 10 2011, 05:56 AM
Post #85

Tetris Expert
Group Icon

no pain, no gain.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Profane
post Dec 10 2011, 06:38 AM
Post #86

Tetris Professional
Group Icon

So i've never really heard the non combo strategy to breaking a combo starter. Usually i just do my normal opening try to stay low and hold an I piece to try to send lines back. any tips?

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
XaeL
post Dec 10 2011, 07:16 AM
Post #87

Tetris Grand Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Profane @ Dec 10 2011, 06:38 AM) *

So i've never really heard the non combo strategy to breaking a combo starter. Usually i just do my normal opening try to stay low and hold an I piece to try to send lines back. any tips?

combos are stronger.. dont expect to beat a combo without a combo.

--------------------
IPB Image

QUOTE(Paradox @ Dec 16 2010 @ 05:52 PM)
Like many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
caffeine
post Dec 10 2011, 05:49 PM
Post #88

Tetris Grand Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Profane @ Dec 10 2011, 12:38 AM) *

It's interesting you said this. I've been thinking about it, and it seems like there's a sort of rock/paper/scissors strategy when countering 4 wide openings. For example, I was playing against this one guy last month. I do middle 4 wide and win a couple games. Then, he catches on and starts doing a side 4 wide. This is a safe counter. Since I won't be starting my combo for a while, he'll have time to stack his side 4 wide without me topping him out. And... he'll be able to stack that 4 wide faster than my middle 4 wide, since it's easier and more straight forward. So, after I caught on to that, I started watching to see if he was going to do a side 4 wide. When he did, I'd build up a perfect clear. I'd wait for him to get closer to the top, and then I'd do the PC. It was kind of funny to watch: instant KO every time. This happened a few times, and then he went back to opening with T-Spins, and I went back to middle 4 wide.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Chopin
post Dec 10 2011, 08:01 PM
Post #89

Tetris Apprentice
Group Icon

QUOTE(caffeine @ Dec 10 2011, 05:49 PM) *

So, after I caught on to that, I started watching to see if he was going to do a side 4 wide. When he did, I'd build up a perfect clear. I'd wait for him to get closer to the top, and then I'd do the PC. It was kind of funny to watch: instant KO every time. This happened a few times, and then he went back to opening with T-Spins, and I went back to middle 4 wide.

This stopped working really when people learned how to do PCs Sticking Out Tongue.png
And with E+, the opponent can just start their combo, 10 lines is not that much, and also any slightly decent player will notice if you're sitting there with a PC for 20 seconds lol. I would out wait you, absorb it all, and you are gg ^_^
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
caffeine
post Dec 10 2011, 08:46 PM
Post #90

Tetris Grand Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Chopin @ Dec 10 2011, 02:01 PM) *

This stopped working really when people learned how to do PCs Sticking Out Tongue.png
And with E+, the opponent can just start their combo, 10 lines is not that much, and also any slightly decent player will notice if you're sitting there with a PC for 20 seconds lol. I would out wait you, absorb it all, and you are gg ^_^

"This stopped working"... are you referring to countering side 4w with a PC? For it not to work, then the 4w'er would have to stop before he gets 10 rows high. If he starts a combo at only 10 rows high, that's not very threatening. So what I'd think would happen is: if he sees that I'm going to do the PC and doesn't stack up, then I do the PC anyway and wait. He won't send that much from the 10-row combo, so that will be easy to get through. When he gets to the PC garbage, that will be easy enough to clear. I'd think so, anyway. If I overstacked, then I could definitely see that as bad news. But I guess I'd have to see for myself in a real game.

Edit: on second thought, you might have something there. I need to play this scenerio out a few times.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

©2009-2014 Hard Drop Community & Forum
harddrop.com is not sponsored or endorsed by The Tetris Company or its subsidiaries.