Perfect Clear Fest '010

Started by jujube, February 24, 2010, 09:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jujube

caffeine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQpcx3glhJQ
Geroppa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e6tmlOOwZI
jujube (using old scoring system) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhP-xprJ5-s

from the wiki:
All clear, Bravo, or Perfect Clear occurs when the player clears the whole playfield without leaving any blocks behind.

earn points by making as many PC's as you can in 5 minutes. getting close to a perfect clear earns you points as well (explained below). there are no points earned for tetrises, T-spins, combos, or anything else. know your twists so you'll make more PC's and near PC's.

i'll be making 2 leaderboards, one for total points in 5 minutes, and the other for total PC's in 5 minutes.

the easiest way i've found to play is to make a private room at Tetris Friends Arena, and practice until you're automatically disconnected, which happens after 5 minutes.

please submit a video. you'll need to tally up your own points, so watch your video closely so you don't miss anything.

restrictions
1. use a 7-piece bag randomizer (most guideline games including Tetris Friends, Tetris Online (Japan), Tetris Zone, Tetris DS, Tetris Party (most modes), Tetris Splash, Tetris Evolution, Tetris Worlds)
2. all pieces used must be tetrominoes
3. no cascade gravity (nearly every tetris game)
4. field dimensions 10x20
5. the field must be empty at the start of the game
6. no garbage blocks

scoring
5 = Perfect Clear
2 = One piece left over after "semi Perfect Clear"
1 = Two pieces left over after "semi Perfect Clear"

In other words, the 1- and 2-pointers are for the junk piece(s) that you dropped before making an otherwise Perfect Clear. Illustrated:
[fumen]105@deG3hbH3hbA3pbhSI7eBjiBAwNOAvFVTASYjrDGvDl?EF8BAA[/fumen]

glhf

Name ------ Perfect clears ---- Points
======================================
caffeine --------- 8 ------------ 46
Geroppa ---------- 7 ------------ \\
jujube ----------- 6 ------------ \\

edit: for now i've combined PC's and points into one leaderboard.

holdnext

"All clear" can be translated into:
French: Parfait
German: Alles gelöst
Spanish: Todo eliminado
Italian: Tutti eliminati
Dutch: Alles weg

clincher

This sounds like a lot of fun, jujube
Is there a deadline?
It's all about the love

Johnny147

That's a great idea jujube.  This'll be fun fun.

Magnanimous

... Awesome.

Can we have two leaderboards? One based solely on how many PCs you do, and the second based on points?

Also: how about a small bonus if you go from an empty field to a PC in ten pieces? (Or five, if you're really lucky. )
Best 40 Lines: 37:74 (162.18 TPM) on NullpoMino

jujube

yeah Magna, i can definitely make 2 leaderboards. that's a good idea. i don't know about a bigger bonus for a quick PC from the start of the game though. because we're using the 7-piece bag, people can memorize "openings" like chess players, and increase the possibility of making an early PC, so i don't know that it would be deserving of an extra bonus on top of the usual 7 points.

i forgot to mention that on your first piece at the start of the game or after a PC, you won't qualify for the "4 blocks in the bottom row" bonus, which would be as easy as placing an I piece horizontally. i'll add this to my first post.

as soon as people are ready to post scores i'll make leaderboards. you may as well post your points and # of PC's, along with a video link if at all possible. i'm going to post a video to youtube, and i'll use their annotations editor to indicate wherever i scored points in the game.

clincher: there's no deadline at all. i'll keep this thread running indefinitely.

jujube

6 perfect clears and 73 points.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhP-xprJ5-s

ItsWhatever

Quote from: jujube
6 perfect clears and 73 points.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhP-xprJ5-s

Very nice Jujube. You missed a +1 @2:02

I will attempt to re-post my video later. I got 3 perfect clears with a score of 51..

Beastin_Shen

ill have to use my tetris ds puzzle skills from years ago haha, ill try it out soon
<div style="overflow: hidden; background-image: url(http://harddrop.com/design/pic/badges/bg_black.png);background-repeat: no-repeat; width: 285px; height: 80px;position:relative;"><span style="width:60px;height:80px;float:left;overflow: hidden;margin-top:10px;margin-left:10px;"><a href="http://hard

jujube

Quote from: ItsWhatever
Very nice Jujube. You missed a +1 @2:02

I will attempt to re-post my video later. I got 3 perfect clears with a score of 51..
i tried a bunch of times, and never made more than 3 PC's in five minutes until the game where i made 6. it really came from out of nowhere hehe. good job in your game, looking forward to the video.

i see where i left 4 blocks behind @2:02, but they weren't all in the bottom row.

Magnanimous

This is kind of inspiring me to code an AI that can look at piece previews and optimize perfect clears... Too bad I'm not that good at programming.  Maybe someday.

jujube

that would be great Magna. i'd love to see it. i wonder how many previews it would need to make PC's continuously. my guess is 3 or 4 (plus hold), with 7-bag and SRS knowledge.

Magnanimous

I was also wondering what the odds were of being able to do a perfect clear with your first ten pieces (assuming Hold and Bag randomizer) ... It can't be 100%, can it?

-There are 7! x (7!/4!) different sequences of ten pieces the randomizer can give you
-O can be played in 9 different positions
-T/J/L can each be played in 34 different positions
-I/S/Z can each be played in 17 different positions

... So there are 1,058,400 possible piece sequences, each of which can be played 1,727,904,968 different ways. Meaning that there are 1,828,814,618,131,200 unique ten-piece games.  1.8 quadrillion. And that doesn't even factor in Hold. What the crap.

EDIT: Of course, that basically counts some games twice... These two openings are considered "unique", even though they're really the same.
[fumen]105@7eBSgI2kBde4GnboU6GjbqUpbAwNsAO1XRASosaEFb?UfDhNukDBzEvEFbEcEo488AwMMGEloo2AhdxvAuno2A7eB2?UPAASoB[/fumen]

Also, you can technically top out in seven pieces, so those iterations containing plays after that shouldn't count.

EDIT2: Actually, I forgot to factor in all of the piece interactions... The 34/34/34/17/17/17/9 lemma is only necessarily true with an empty field.
[fumen]105@7eCiHWmAp588AQ+74Dzoo2ApN98AQ+brDFb0sDJsce?EFbkOEsyZyAOVAAA1VPuAUoo2AjCpTASIINEFb82Duoo2Az?v78AQ21uDmIyrDOP98AQo7aEJPONEu9BAAAwNvAzO5kDloo?2AJv0TASo0JE0ISeDDPONEuoo2A3u+1DFbEVCFb8bDEX0TA?SomAA[/fumen]

Someone2knoe

Perfect clears are tricky. I don't know how that one dude can do them consecutively.
There has to be something to it!

jujube

it seems like only recently have players been setting them up intentionally. it's a new frontier, kind of like T-spins were a few years ago

i like that at least there's something difficult to do consistently with 7-piece bag + hold. you have to consider lots and lots of patterns where a PC can happen, and choose a path towards one of those patterns based on your previews. it'll take a lot of memorization and imagination to PC frequently.

another technique to master is the combo ending in a PC, and opting for it when there's more than one way to PC. it can't be wrecked by someone sending you garbage in Arena E+ or TOJ.