Music and Speed

Started by intrusive, November 13, 2009, 02:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

intrusive

Hello all,

I've recently noticed that quite a few people have certain songs that they like to listen to that make them play faster, and some people even go so far as to create entire 'Tetris playlists'. I think that it's a very interesting idea idea. However, I have been astonished that while some people go for the (what I would consider to be more logical) high bpm songs, others swear by the slower, more relaxing ones.

I've been experimenting with the concept a bit myself, but I'd like to see how (if even) it affects other people. So, here I am.

For anybody that wants to help me out, all you really need to go is play 9 or so games of 40 lines.

First, play 3 games of 40 lines without any music at all,
Then 3 games to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3N1MlvVc4&feature=fvw,
Then another 3 to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc9_U-RBSuk.

I'm going to ask that anybody doing this try to do it in one sitting.
Also, please don't to look at other people's results before you play, as I want to avoid the placebo effect as much as possible, but it's alright if you do, just be sure to mention it.
If anybody has a way of masking the data (spoiler boxes or something to that effect) please mention it.

Now, as far as data posting, post all of the times, the site you played on, your personal best (all time), and mention if one of the songs made you misdrop more or anything else like that that you may deem relevant.

Thanks in advance for all your help

heretic

Game Played: Blockbox[/u]

(Note that only NINE games were started. In other words, if I misdropped, I did not restart.)

Personal best:[/u] 29.39s @ 206 TPM

Group 1: [/u]
Run 1: 31.12s @ 200 TPM
Run 2: 35.72s @ 178 TPM
Run 3: 35.04s @ 181 TPM

Group 2:[/u]
Run 1: 35.93s @ 181 TPM
Run 2: 33.63s @ 183 TPM
Run 3: 36.03s @ 179 TPM

Group 3:[/u]
Run 1: 31.66s @ 193 TPM
Run 2: 35.69s @ 183 TPM
Run 3: 33.93s @ 187 TPM

I was misdropping a good amount in the Dragonforce song. I didn't have the game sound effects on while I was playing, and I feel that I'm usually slower when they're off.

Boingloing

TETRIS FRIENDS(personal beest 57.86)

NO MUSIC

game 1 - 1:06 even with 92.72 tpm
game 2 - 1:07.40 with 97.01 tpm
game 3 - 1:23.20 with 84.36 tpm (this was a real bad game for me...)

WITH MUSIC
game 1(med bpm electronic music[gummibar]) - 1:06.22 with 98.74 tpm
game 2 (high bpm electronic music [clockwork genesis]) - 1:08.01 (forgot to get tpm)
game 3 (star wars theme song?) - 1:09.10 with 93.76 tpm (terrible misdrop at the end)

I may post more updates(different genres/speeds of music) because I am interested in this experiment. no PRs today...

g u r l g a m e r

tepples

Must hammer on... must mash the strum bar... Why did it have to be a song everyone associates with Guitar Hero III? You can't play Tetris with a guitar controller. Klax, maybe, but not Tetris.

intrusive

I wasn't really thinking about other games, it was just the fastest non-classical song I knew. I myself am a big fan of classical music but I figured you guys... not so much.

If you really have an issue with it, the first 1:20 or so of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTUHPhYF2J8...feature=related
is just about the most consistently fast song I know.
But it's quite a bit more structured than the dragonforce, so it loses something in that aspect.
Probably less misdrops though.

Boingloing

oops! I just noticed that you chose your own songs for us!

g u r l g a m e r

tepples

...didder...

You want fast? Here's Stamina Busters!, a remix of a song called "Max 300" by Omega (aka Naoki Maeda). It starts at 300 BPM (in the sense that "Wish" by NIN is 270 BPM) and only goes up from there. But this song might give you restless leg syndrome.

As might this: Overplayed, a 3-parter with 333, 200, and 300 BPM.

Oh wait, this isn't Bemanistyle.

DDRKirbyISQ

Quote from: tepples
...didder...

You want fast? Here's Stamina Busters!, a remix of a song called "Max 300" by Omega (aka Naoki Maeda). It starts at 300 BPM (in the sense that "Wish" by NIN is 270 BPM) and only goes up from there. But this song might give you restless leg syndrome.

Oh wait, this isn't Bemanistyle.

Or you could try playing tetris to maxbag.

xfool

I think its better with music , wont try cuz i alrdy know that i play better like that   since i'm flashy dude & listen 2 schranz music ... its perfect combination for me  

m__

Quote from: xfool
listen 2 schranz music ...

cool, you like Adam Bayer?

I like hard techno, but minimal better!

Magnanimous

Quote from: tepplesYou can't play Tetris with a guitar controller.
Why not?

Strum up and down for left/right motion, then the frets give you three rotation buttons and hard/sonic drop. (Or you could strum for hard drop, but that might be harder on the left hand...)
Best 40 Lines: 37:74 (162.18 TPM) on NullpoMino

YukiIjuin

I'm so going to do that when I get home. Guitaris? Guitris? Tetuitar? XD

DDRKirbyISQ

Quote from: Magnanimous
Why not?

Strum up and down for left/right motion, then the frets give you three rotation buttons and hard/sonic drop. (Or you could strum for hard drop, but that might be harder on the left hand...)

yep.  I mean, they already had fret nice, and that was a platformer using the GH controller...

XaeL

Quote from: tepples
...didder...

You want fast? Here's Stamina Busters!, a remix of a song

sounds like max300->maxx unlimitted -> some other max
[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]

[/quote]

u got  stepfiles for these?

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

Achille

I think relax musics are better if you want to go fast  

If they ever tell my story, let them say I walked with giants.

Men rise and fall like the winter wheat but these names will never die.

Let them say I lived in the time of Hector tamer of horses.

Let them say... ...I lived in the time of Achilles.