HOME WORLD FORUMS WIKI VIDEOS
7997 members and stacking!
     Welcome guest, please login or sign up

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How do I prevent self from slowing down?
CosmicCommunist
post Jan 8 2017, 09:46 PM
Post #1

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Like. I start out with 1.6PPS but then drop down to 1.1-1.2PPS. How do I sustain that 1.6PPS? And why the f**k am I not improving as fast as other people? I have a good keyboard and everything. It's not that I don't know where to put it fast enough; it's that I keep placing the blocks one over where it's supposed to be, or rotate it one extra time. But yeah. Main question is how do I sustain my initial speed? And what black magic are you guys using to get +2pps?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kinac
post Jan 8 2017, 09:50 PM
Post #2

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

You don't even need a good keyboard to get good. And the key of gaining speed is playing more and learning the few mechanics. You aren't improving as quick as others probably because you aren't playing much as others. And for warm-up you can try to go a little slower than usual until your fingers are warmed up.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
XaeL
post Jan 8 2017, 11:50 PM
Post #3

Tetris God
Group Icon

Remember that stacking more neatly will make it easier to go faster.

I recommend that you attempt to play without hold and with tetrises only. Also play dig challenge (you can use hold for this).

Do this for at least 1 hour a day (30 minutes of each). After a week you will be able to complete 40 lines without hold and will be within 1 second of your PB. Then try and beat your pb, using hold a maximum of 3-5 times and you will beat it.

--------------------
IPB Image

QUOTE(Paradox @ Dec 16 2010 @ 05:52 PM)
Like many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
caffeine
post Jan 9 2017, 12:13 AM
Post #4

Tetris Grand Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(CosmicCommunist @ Jan 8 2017, 03:46 PM) *

I start out with 1.6PPS but then drop down to 1.1-1.2PPS.

This may or may not explain your specific case, but this can happen in games that allow you to see pieces before the game starts. You can sort of work out how to place the first several pieces, and that gives you an initial boost.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
CosmicCommunist
post Jan 9 2017, 12:34 AM
Post #5

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kinac @ Jan 8 2017, 09:50 PM) *

probably because you aren't playing much as others.

I think 3 hours a day is sufficient, don't you think?
Yes I have better things to be doing.
No I'm not spending my free time any other way.

But yeah

XaeL: I'll try this. But I instinctively try and hold pieces. Does not holding really make one go faster? Also what's a PB? I've tried using the Tetris only method and I fail miserably at this. I guess practice makes perfect. But I'm sure getting a helluva lot of practice without getting anywhere.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Okey_Dokey
post Jan 9 2017, 07:26 AM
Post #6

Tetris Expert
Group Icon

QUOTE(CosmicCommunist @ Jan 9 2017, 12:34 AM) *
XaeL: I'll try this. But I instinctively try and hold pieces. Does not holding really make one go faster? Also what's a PB? I've tried using the Tetris only method and I fail miserably at this.

PB means Personal Best. Maybe you focus not much enough on the next piece(s). One reason may be that you use hold too much. Disable the hold key and see how you perform. I sprint without hold. I play the Quadruple style (leaving one column on the wall empty for I pieces) but I also do a lot of skimming. My stack is lower towards the empty column (looks a bit like a funnel, 1 wide with some rows of 2 wide or 3 wide on top) so I can skim most pieces.

Another reason for not focusing (fast) enough on the next piece is that you are distracted by 3+ previews. In NullpoMino you can limit the number of previews to 1 or 2 by using ruleditor.bat (open Standard???.rul, enter 1 or 2 under # of piece preview, save). Don't look actively at the next piece queue. Look at the ghost piece instead (or a little above) and perceive the next pieces in your peripheral vision. Also make sure that the next piece queue is displayed on the side and big (general options -> next display type).

For training purposes you can also try to make the current piece disappear (current piece over the top, ghost piece deactivated). You do so again by editing a rule (or creating a new rule) in the ruleeditor (open Standard???.rul, in Basic tab change rule name to STANDARD-INVISIBLE and disable Ghost checkmark, in Spawn tab enter -1 everywhere in the first column of Y Spawn Offset, save as StandardInvisible.rul, open NullpoMino.exe, options -> rule select -> STANDARD-INVISIBLE, start -> line race -> current rule). You won't see the active piece until you use softdrop or wait long enough for the gravity to pull it down (I suggest gravity = 1, G-Max = 256). Be warned, playing this way is not a funny experience but it may help you to learn faster which keys to press to get a piece to a certain spot and it may help you focus on the next piece(s).
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Kinac
post Jan 9 2017, 02:34 PM
Post #7

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

QUOTE(CosmicCommunist @ Jan 9 2017, 12:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Kinac @ Jan 8 2017, 09:50 PM) *

probably because you aren't playing much as others.

I think 3 hours a day is sufficient, don't you think?
Yes I have better things to be doing.
No I'm not spending my free time any other way.

But yeah

XaeL: I'll try this. But I instinctively try and hold pieces. Does not holding really make one go faster? Also what's a PB? I've tried using the Tetris only method and I fail miserably at this. I guess practice makes perfect. But I'm sure getting a helluva lot of practice without getting anywhere.

3 hours a day is quite good. Try to not focus on the game when playing. Focusing too much on the game can cause something like a brain fart when doing really good. Don't worry too much about progress. Thinking about that too much can cause you to not progress fast too. Also, you gotta play the 3 hours a day constantly (like, every day for months) to have proper progress. Don't play the 3 hours in one sitting. It's better to have 6 half hour sessions than one 3 hour session.

And, yes, every hold is a wasted key press in terms of 40 lines.

Also, things like decreasing DAS, changing skins and listening to music can help too.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
WasKilledBy
post Jan 9 2017, 07:19 PM
Post #8

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Turning off holding helped me
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kevincentius
post Jan 10 2017, 03:09 PM
Post #9

Tetris Apprentice
Group Icon

Not holding makes me faster, and it's not because I don't have to press the hold button.

Wow standard invisible sounds interesting to practice with.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
BestN00b
post Jan 10 2017, 08:01 PM
Post #10

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

QUOTE(CosmicCommunist @ Jan 8 2017, 09:46 PM) *

Like. I start out with 1.6PPS but then drop down to 1.1-1.2PPS. How do I sustain that 1.6PPS? And why the f**k am I not improving as fast as other people? I have a good keyboard and everything. It's not that I don't know where to put it fast enough; it's that I keep placing the blocks one over where it's supposed to be, or rotate it one extra time. But yeah. Main question is how do I sustain my initial speed? And what black magic are you guys using to get +2pps?

Just practice. I was just like you a few years ago. However, the slowing down thing happens to me also. I can hit up to 2.7 PPS, but then I slow down to a consistent 2.3 PPS.

What worked for me was that in order to stay in my 'super saiyan' mode, I had to stop being indecisive and just go with my first decision. Also, obviously try to keep a note of how frequently I was pressing my space bar (hard drop).

Sometimes, I would be pretty slow and be around 2.1 PPS, and I tell myself, 'I can go faster than this.' So, I go look at Microblizz's world record videos to give myself the inspiration to go faster. smile.gif

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
CosmicCommunist
post Jan 11 2017, 05:49 AM
Post #11

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Well I already see improvement. By not holding I did beat my PB. Now I'm at 1:24.18 or something. I'll continue to practice without using hold smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
XaeL
post Jan 12 2017, 12:58 AM
Post #12

Tetris God
Group Icon

QUOTE(CosmicCommunist @ Jan 11 2017, 05:49 AM) *

Well I already see improvement. By not holding I did beat my PB. Now I'm at 1:24.18 or something. I'll continue to practice without using hold smile.gif

1:24 is a speed where just playing more should improve your speed.

I think a large proportion of people on this forum hit sub 60 within a month or two of playing religiously (i myself hit 60~ after one month. And this was on TF with no das and 1 second line clear delay)

--------------------
IPB Image

QUOTE(Paradox @ Dec 16 2010 @ 05:52 PM)
Like many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
CosmicCommunist
post Jan 12 2017, 03:54 AM
Post #13

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

[quote name='XaeL' date='Jan 12 2017, 12:58 AM' post='89479']
[quote name='CosmicCommunist' post='89477' date='Jan 11 2017, 05:49 AM']
I think a large proportion of people on this forum hit sub 60 within a month or two of playing religiously
[/quote]

Again I played for minimum 1hr up to 4h per day playing Tetris since August. I don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong. Granted I've been playing the piano for 15 years and I still suck at it... I guess my fingers just don't want to cooperate with my brain.

This is my current PB. Aside from me f**king up now and then and placing the blocks one over where they should be (how the hell do I stop from doing this), what else am I doing wrong? I know I'm wasting some rotations, but I never got the hang of using two buttons to rotate.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Kinac
post Jan 12 2017, 02:37 PM
Post #14

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

[quote name='CosmicCommunist' date='Jan 12 2017, 03:54 AM' post='89480']
[quote name='XaeL' date='Jan 12 2017, 12:58 AM' post='89479']
[quote name='CosmicCommunist' post='89477' date='Jan 11 2017, 05:49 AM']
I think a large proportion of people on this forum hit sub 60 within a month or two of playing religiously
[/quote]

Again I played for minimum 1hr up to 4h per day playing Tetris since August. I don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong. Granted I've been playing the piano for 15 years and I still suck at it... I guess my fingers just don't want to cooperate with my brain.

This is my current PB. Aside from me f**king up now and then and placing the blocks one over where they should be (how the hell do I stop from doing this), what else am I doing wrong? I know I'm wasting some rotations, but I never got the hang of using two buttons to rotate.

[/quote]

Turn off gravity and decrease your DAS and ARR (your pieces take like 50 years to move from one side of the screen to the other). And you stop misplacing pieces by playing more and by playing below your maximum speed. Rotating both ways, finesse and all that stuff can wait till you hit sub-50 (or at least sub-60) I also recommend turning off the background.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Okey_Dokey
post Jan 12 2017, 06:15 PM
Post #15

Tetris Expert
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kinac @ Jan 12 2017, 02:37 PM) *
Rotating both ways, finesse and all that stuff can wait till you hit sub-50 (or at least sub-60)

I tend to disagree. CosmicCommunist already plays since some months. I wouldn't connect learning rotating both ways etc. to a certain sprint time goal. Autorepeat isn't used much in the video and sometimes pieces are tapped 4 times. Rotating both ways doesn't only cut rotation key strokes, it can also cut sidewards movement keystrokes. For example at 0:20 the green S piece is placed vertically 1 column away from the right wall with 4 right taps - it would be 3 taps, if the piece was rotated in the other direction.

I would suggest learning to use both rotation directions immediately. If you plan to play Tetris for at least 100 further hours (I assume it), then learning movement finesse (aka never tap 3 times, use autorepeat-tapback instead) will also pay out. Furthermore, I would go to options and set "next display type" to side big (+ lower the amount of previews, see my previous post). Also, I would set the gravity to almost 0 for training purposes, maybe the high gravity distracts you. And some time was lost, because you either didn't know where to put a piece when it spawned or because you changed your mind.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

©2009-2017 Hard Drop Community & Forum
harddrop.com is not sponsored or endorsed by The Tetris Company or its subsidiaries.