Welcome guest, please login or sign up

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tetris Tournament V Discussion
Blink
post Jan 3 2018, 10:43 AM
Post #1

Tetris God
Group Icon

The rules are in place now, please use this thread for any questions.

http://harddrop.com/tourney

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
XaeL
post Jan 4 2018, 01:58 AM
Post #2

Tetris God
Group Icon

How does one join?

--------------------
IPB Image

QUOTE(Paradox @ Dec 16 2010 @ 05:52 PM)
Like many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Blink
post Jan 4 2018, 02:41 AM
Post #3

Tetris God
Group Icon

QUOTE(XaeL @ Jan 3 2018, 05:58 PM) *

How does one join?

On January 8th, the http://harddrop.com/tourney page will include a signup form.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
morningpee
post Jan 4 2018, 03:25 AM
Post #4

Tetris Expert
Group Icon

QUOTE("tourney rules")
Top 8 are seeded from previous TTO, the rest of the bracket is seeded by LPM statistic.

Is there a reason we're not seeding by Sprint time like previous TTOs? I don't know about TTO IV, but TTO III was seeded by Sprint time and the bracket was very balanced.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
XaeL
post Jan 7 2018, 10:10 PM
Post #5

Tetris God
Group Icon

QUOTE(morningpee @ Jan 4 2018, 03:25 AM) *

the bracket was very balanced.

How did you determine this? What model did you use to define "balanced"? Just interested in your methodology.

--------------------
IPB Image

Like many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
morningpee
post Jan 8 2018, 11:10 PM
Post #6

Tetris Expert
Group Icon

The final 16 were all top players. If the bracket were imbalanced, lower-tier players would be in the top 16.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
XaeL
post Jan 9 2018, 03:06 AM
Post #7

Tetris God
Group Icon

QUOTE(morningpee @ Jan 8 2018, 11:10 PM) *

The final 16 were all top players. If the bracket were imbalanced, lower-tier players would be in the top 16.

Oh wow, top 16 == top 16 seeds is definitely a good indicator that seeding was successful. Well done!

Extending to the general case, checking if the top 2^n results == top 2^n seeds seems like a very good way to check seeding efficacy.

--------------------
IPB Image

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
eliser4
post Jan 17 2018, 02:27 AM
Post #8

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Blink, how will you gain access to our lpm statistic?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
XaeL
post Jan 17 2018, 05:10 AM
Post #9

Tetris God
Group Icon

QUOTE(eliser4 @ Jan 17 2018, 02:27 AM) *

Blink, how will you gain access to our lpm statistic?

I believe this was done via looking at TF profile, which is obviously a little erroneous since players that have had their account for longer will have lower LPMs.

--------------------
IPB Image

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Impact009
post Feb 23 2018, 07:25 AM
Post #10

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

To be fair, the current model was flawed too since it relied on the results of the previous model. In any case, when I looked at the seeding during the week before Valentine's Day, I noticed that ajanba was strangely seeded lower than I had expected. It's humorous to see his current, minimum placement in TTOV now.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Okey_Dokey
post Feb 23 2018, 08:21 AM
Post #11

Tetris Professional
Group Icon

QUOTE(Impact009 @ Feb 23 2018, 07:25 AM) *

[...] I noticed that ajanba was strangely seeded lower than I had expected. It's humorous to see his current, minimum placement in TTOV now.

Actually, Squirtle / Wumbo would have had by far the worst seeding from the top 16 players, if it wasn't for the fact that he reached top 8 in last TTO. Just from the LPM statistics (Lines Per Minute), he would have been seeded at around 90.

Reasons why LPM could be inaccurate:
  • LPM is a life time statistic. This puts people on disadvantage who made their first Tetris experience on Tetris Friends itself and who have improved over the years (e.g. FireStorm58). Or players who had a problem with lags in the past but could get rid of it now (e.g. I have played half of my games on my old laptop before Minimal Tetris Friends existed; z2sam also falls in this category)
  • LPM depends a little on playstyle. It favors players who accept a lot of garbage, who focus very much on downstacking instead of T-Spinning and players who like to do multilineclears. 4 widers are disadvantaged by the system.
  • LPM depends a little on the people you playing. If you play a lot against slower people or people who send messy garbage, your LPM will suffer.

All in all, seeding by LPM turned out better than seeding by Sprint (some good players have never played Sprint and Sprint isn't that representive of your multiplayer skill either). Personally, I would have preferred a mix of those two. For example seeding by the minimum of sprint time and 2000/LPM (the lower one of those two will only count; 2000 is just an example - the value has to be adjusted properly). In my opinion, seeding is very imprortant in Single Elimination tournaments and should as less skewed as possible.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
coconutcrusher
post Mar 15 2018, 12:12 AM
Post #12

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Belated congrats to Ajanba! And big props to everyone involved this year. TTO5 was very well organized and moved at a really nice clip. It was also a lot of fun to watch, many ggs with my favorite match of the handful I caught being Aitsu_K vs Megurokki. What a comeback Gasp.png

That said, I'm bummed if this really is the last TTO. Crying.png I know everyone's moving on to PPT and Jstris, but Tetrisfriends remains my fav so hope there'll still be other TF tourneys from time to time, even if they won't be THE TF tourney.

In any case, TTO was what really got me excited about Tetris again, so thanks a bunch Blink and the Harddrop community for helping kickstart and support all five! Thumbs Up.png
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Okey_Dokey
post Mar 15 2018, 07:18 AM
Post #13

Tetris Professional
Group Icon

QUOTE(coconutcrusher @ Mar 15 2018, 12:12 AM) *
That said, I'm bummed if this really is the last TTO. Crying.png I know everyone's moving on to PPT and Jstris, but Tetrisfriends remains my fav so hope there'll still be other TF tourneys from time to time, even if they won't be THE TF tourney.

Blink said TTO5 was the last TTO on Tetris Friends. The TTO series will continue though I think.

QUOTE(coconutcrusher @ Mar 15 2018, 12:12 AM) *
many ggs with my favorite match of the handful I caught being Aitsu_K vs Megurokki. What a comeback

aitsu_k vs megurokki

Some further close matches:Brackets:Finals (starting at 9:50 in the video):

I would have written a summary (like for TTO4), if it wasn't for the fact that most videos were not uploaded to Youtube. I don't like to link to Twitch (not the best idea for archiving).
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

©2009-2018 Hard Drop Community & Forum
harddrop.com is not sponsored or endorsed by The Tetris Company or its subsidiaries.