HOME WORLD FORUMS WIKI VIDEOS
8658 members and stacking!
     Welcome guest, please login or sign up

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My dad is a Tetris addict and I'd like to buy him a gift.
whimzikol
post A week ago
Post #1

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Hey everyone!
I've just joined this community because I wanted some advice from hardcore Tetris fans.
My dad is almost 70 years old, and since I can remember as a child, he's always played Tetris for Gameboy. At some point, maybe around 10 years ago, I gave him my Gameboy Color and a copy of Tetris DX...which he still plays today almost every day! It's the only game he ever plays and his favorite thing to do in the mornings. I remember when I used to live at home, I'd hear the theme music play when I woke up in the mornings, and he played so often I'd wake up and hear the theme music sometimes even if he wasn't home!
A few years ago he was asking me why the score wasn't going up anymore, and I realized he maxed his score! He did this a few times so the top scores are all maxed out for the game, but I want to find a version of the game that has a higher max score that he could play. Do any of you have any recommendations?
Thanks!

tl;dr What's the best no frills portable version of Tetris with no max score for a 70 year old?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Okey_Dokey
post A week ago
Post #2

Tetris Professional
Group Icon

QUOTE(whimzikol @ Oct 6 2018, 06:41 PM) *
He did this a few times so the top scores are all maxed out for the game, but I want to find a version of the game that has a higher max score that he could play.

Maximum score doesn't equal difficulty. For example the max score in the original GameBoy Tetris is a 10th of Tetris DX but it's much harder to max out. Or the max score in Tetris DS is 10 times as high as in Tetris DX but it's easier than Tetris DX (you need 12+ hours to reach the max score though).

QUOTE(whimzikol @ Oct 6 2018, 06:41 PM) *

tl;dr What's the best no frills portable version of Tetris with no max score for a 70 year old?

I can't really give any recommendations. Portable games after GameBoy are very different from the GameBoy games, as they follow the modern Tetris guidelines. Most importantly, they use Hold (you can put away an unwanted piece) and Super Rotation System which allows you to still rotate a piece when it touches the ground (but behaves weird in this case because pieces are also kicked to the side when applying upwards kicks). In case of Marathon-style gameplay (gravity increases further and further), it also matters that you still have 0.5 seconds to move a piece when it touches the ground. That's called lock delay and it's also present in Tetris DX. However, the lock delay in modern games is also reset each time you move or rotate a piece (some games limit the reset to 15 times per piece). This makes modern games much easier to survive. Eventually, the pieces will fall to the ground much faster than in classic Tetris but that's still not enough to top out skilled players.

We have the following portable English guideline games:Tetris DS, Tetris Party Deluxe, Tetris Axis and Puyo Puyo Tetris are well made games but the Marathon is probably too easy for your father. Puyo Puyo Tetris could be interesting for your father because it also offers Puyo but it's very expensive (because Switch). Tetris Ultimate is considered a bad game (3DS version is best version) but it could still be interesting for your father. It's the only portable guideline Tetris game where the Marathon becomes so difficult that it will eventually top out skilled players (remember the 0.5 seconds lock delay I talked about earlier - Tetris Ultimate reduces that delay after level 20). Tetris Worlds is not so good either (on GB Advance) but it's interesting because different. Tetris PSP Mini is not so good but it also has a big variety of modes to offer (can also be said about the Nintendo games). Note that Tetris PSP Mini (and maybe others from that list like Tetris Axis) was only sold digitally and the Tetris license for EA (and Nintendo) expired, so it should be impossible to acquire it legally today.

For the GameBoy we have:Magical Tetris Challenge would probably be a bad choice for your father as it isn't Marathon-focused and aimed at children. Tetris Plus could be an option: the difficulty in Marathon is comparable to that of Tetris DX. Tetris Plus is majorly focused on a mode where a character is moving in your playfield and your goal is to bring him down to the bottom (with line clears) before he is squashed by the shrinking playfield (you can score Triples and Tetrises to make the field grow temporarily).

There are other games for GameBoy that have Tetris in their name but aren't really Tetris. Tetris 2 is like Dr. Mario but with Tetrominoes. Tetris Blast is basically Bombliss (google it). Tetris Attack is nowadays known as Pokemon Puzzle League.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whimzikol
post A week ago
Post #3

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

WOW! This is exactly the answer I was looking for! Thank you very much Okey_Dokey for your detailed response and comments for all the different portable games. This gives me a lot of insight to what is available and what I should look into or consider. Your note about lock delay is also very insightful, and something I didn't know.
Thanks a lot for you help!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

©2009-2018 Hard Drop Community & Forum
harddrop.com is not sponsored or endorsed by The Tetris Company or its subsidiaries.