Reply to this topicStart new topic
> puyopuyo tetris s
Okey_Dokey
post Jan 18 2017, 07:39 AM
Post #16

Tetris Professional
Group Icon

QUOTE(cycle @ Jan 17 2017, 11:48 PM) *
no really what's the point? u act like there are 5 tetris games each year and u can pick and choose. you can´t. there is 1 every 3-5 years.
either the hardcore tetris community embraces them or we will be left with even fewer tetris games apart from casual mobile tetris crap.

Just that you don't get me wrong: I will most likely buy a PS4 or Switch just to be able to play Puyo Puyo Tetris. That's something between 350€ and 500€ just for a Tetris game. Majorly because there's not much choice you have for multiplayer (Tetris Friends, Tetris Battle, Tetris Online Poland, Cultris 2 and Puyo Puyo Tetris are the only games with active multiplayer).

I have to agree that I barely say nice things ever. That's majorly because I don't have to point out positive aspects so that Tetris games improve from my point of view. The point is to offer constructive criticism. I do that all the time. I just hope that one day I get the game I am happy with. Such a game would have to be on PC though (on consoles you will never have advanced match making and chatting tools, controllers are just an inferior way for input because you have to use your thumbs).

To say some positive things:
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris is overall a polished game. A long sound track (it's missing Technotris and Type B music(?) though) and lots of nice graphics (I dislike though that the characters shout the same things over and over again in a match).
  • I like how Puyo Puyo Tetris handles garbage. In Tetris Friends & many other games the garbage of a single attack piles up over each other (hole in the same column). Tetrising & T-Spinning can backfire there because that kind of garbage can be sent back easily. Also this makes start setups kinda useless (people like blink and hebo_mai don't even know how to start properly). I have made the experience that if you play against a faster opponent there, you should reduce T-spinning to a very minimum. On the other hand, in Puyo Puyo there's a chance that the hole switches during the attack (additionally to the 90% (?) hole changerate between attacks). This not only makes Tetrising and T-Spinning more powerful, it also gives a higher variety to the playstyle (3 rows piling up over each other barely ever happens in Tetris Friends & co; if top players play each other in TF, you'll often see 4 and 5 rows piling up over each other which is just boring in my opinion because it's a free Tetris). Also, comboing doesn't delay an incoming attack, so sidestacked combos are not too strong in Puyo Puyo Tetris either.
  • Sega did a great job at balancing Tetris vs Puyo Puyo (within the realms of possibility). Those two are totally different games, so that's really hard to achieve. In Tetris, garbage comes from below, the strongest attacks (T-Spins, perfect clears) are set up quicky, and there's harddrop. In Puyo Puyo, garbage comes from the top (and interferes with your ability to attack), the strongest attacks (big chains) need quite some time to prepare, and there's only softdrop, so bit slower pace. Actually, I think Puyo vs Tetris is the most interesting thing to watch. If 2 Tetris players (with same skill level) play each other, you'll probably see a 2+ minutes match. If 2 Puyo players play each other, you'll most likely just see 1 attack and then it's game over (either both players do a big chain and the one with the bigger chain wins immediately or one player sends a well timed small attack shortly before the other player can start his chain). In Puyo vs Tetris on the other hand, the Puyo player will have to improvise (smaller attacks than usual) and the Tetris player also has to time his attacks.
  • The Swap mode (switching between Tetris and Puyo Puyo every 30 seconds) is a nice mode. The Puyo-Tet-Mix mode (having Puyos and Tetris blocks in one field) didn't convince me though.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
cycle
post Jan 18 2017, 05:40 PM
Post #17

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

more live footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYCGyqyezzM
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
cycle
post Feb 8 2017, 07:17 PM
Post #18

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Puyo Puyo Tetris will launch for PlayStation 4 and Switch in the Americas on April 25 and Europe on April 28, Sega announced.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2017/02/puyo-puyo-tetri...april-28-europe

new game modes video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cof7SkBmCKo
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
iphys
post Feb 8 2017, 07:21 PM
Post #19

Tetris Professional
Group Icon

So this comes out Apr 25 in NA and Apr 28 in Europe. Anyone thinking of using the region-free nature of the Switch to create a Japanese account to get it from the Japanese eShop on Mar 3? I already pre-ordered physical for the keychains and just because I collect Tetris games, but I wouldn't mind buying a digital copy too to get it earlier if I can figure out how in Japanese.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Blink
post Feb 8 2017, 11:43 PM
Post #20

Tetris God
Group Icon

QUOTE(iphys @ Feb 8 2017, 11:21 AM) *

So this comes out Apr 25 in NA and Apr 28 in Europe. Anyone thinking of using the region-free nature of the Switch to create a Japanese account to get it from the Japanese eShop on Mar 3? I already pre-ordered physical for the keychains and just because I collect Tetris games, but I wouldn't mind buying a digital copy too to get it earlier if I can figure out how in Japanese.

iphys!!!!!! long time no see!
Let us know if it's possible!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
PrgSkidmark
post Feb 14 2017, 11:57 PM
Post #21

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

I bought the Xbox one game from Play Asia a couple years ago when it released. I played it when I first got it, and then went onto other games. started playing it again since the announcement and absolutely love it. There are characters to unlock, and I haven't done that yet. I need to research how.
Since they have to localize it for PS4 and Switch for US market, does anyone think they'd update the Xbox one game with English?
I'm not getting my hopes up, but it would be nice.
Doug
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
cycle
post Feb 15 2017, 12:05 AM
Post #22

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

QUOTE(PrgSkidmark @ Feb 14 2017, 11:57 PM) *

I bought the Xbox one game from Play Asia a couple years ago when it released. I played it when I first got it, and then went onto other games. started playing it again since the announcement and absolutely love it. There are characters to unlock, and I haven't done that yet. I need to research how.
Since they have to localize it for PS4 and Switch for US market, does anyone think they'd update the Xbox one game with English?
I'm not getting my hopes up, but it would be nice.
Doug

not gonna happen. and forget online play as the servers will most likely be in japan. (yea...japanese xbox players)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
iphys
post Mar 2 2017, 09:29 PM
Post #23

Tetris Professional
Group Icon

QUOTE(Blink @ Feb 8 2017, 11:43 PM) *

QUOTE(iphys @ Feb 8 2017, 11:21 AM) *

iphys!!!!!! long time no see!
Let us know if it's possible!

So it's been confirmed it's no trouble to create extra accounts for other regions to access the eShop and there's even a free demo of the game on the Japanese eShop if worst case you can't get your credit card to work to buy it. I think games in Japan are usually more expensive but some games are even cheaper on the Japanese eShop like Snipperclips. I've already made my Japanese account and got MyNintendo set up for it and everything. Super excited to pick-up my Switch in the morning!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
iphys
post Mar 3 2017, 09:54 PM
Post #24

Tetris Professional
Group Icon

Yeah, credit cards aren't working for most people on the Japanese eShop, but you can make an Amazon Japan account, set your shipping address to an address from Japan and your billing local, and order Japanese eShop or digital download game codes. So far I just bought a 1000 Yen code and got Metal Slug 3 to make sure it works. Don't want my credit card to get flagged for suspicious activity so I'll wait a bit before buying Tetris since I can play the demo for now.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
cycle
post Mar 3 2017, 10:26 PM
Post #25

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

QUOTE(iphys @ Mar 3 2017, 09:54 PM) *

Yeah, credit cards aren't working for most people on the Japanese eShop, but you can make an Amazon Japan account, set your shipping address to an address from Japan and your billing local, and order Japanese eShop or digital download game codes. So far I just bought a 1000 Yen code and got Metal Slug 3 to make sure it works. Don't want my credit card to get flagged for suspicious activity so I'll wait a bit before buying Tetris since I can play the demo for now.

what's the demo like and how is tabletop mode for tetris? everything big enough?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
iphys
post Mar 4 2017, 12:10 AM
Post #26

Tetris Professional
Group Icon

QUOTE(cycle @ Mar 3 2017, 10:26 PM) *

what's the demo like and how is tabletop mode for tetris? everything big enough?

The demo is really good actually, and probably some casual players will cheap out and maybe be satisfied to play the demo and not buy the real game. I'm still trying to figure out what everything is in the menus, but there's no limit to the demo, so you can keep playing it every time it kicks you back to the beginning after playing a best of 3 games and no limit to the number of times you can launch the demo either. You can play against a CPU or with other people locally. Playing against 1 CPU it was great on the Switch screen, but then at one point I think I was playing against a pair of CPU's somehow and the piece previews seemed smaller and harder to see, not that you'd probably ever want to have 4 players crowding around your Switch screen instead of a TV anyway.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
iphys
post Mar 4 2017, 02:52 PM
Post #27

Tetris Professional
Group Icon

This helps a lot:

http://puyonexus.com/wiki/Puyo_Puyo_Tetris_Menu_Translation
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Blink
post Mar 5 2017, 06:29 AM
Post #28

Tetris God
Group Icon

QUOTE(iphys @ Mar 3 2017, 04:10 PM) *

QUOTE(cycle @ Mar 3 2017, 10:26 PM) *

The demo is really good actually, and probably some casual players will cheap out and maybe be satisfied to play the demo and not buy the real game. I'm still trying to figure out what everything is in the menus, but there's no limit to the demo, so you can keep playing it every time it kicks you back to the beginning after playing a best of 3 games and no limit to the number of times you can launch the demo either. You can play against a CPU or with other people locally. Playing against 1 CPU it was great on the Switch screen, but then at one point I think I was playing against a pair of CPU's somehow and the piece previews seemed smaller and harder to see, not that you'd probably ever want to have 4 players crowding around your Switch screen instead of a TV anyway.

Very nice, thanks for the how-to. I currently have the JP PS4 version, so I'll play that version and hold off until the English one is out for the Switch.

How you liking it so far? Climbing the ranks?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
iphys
post Mar 5 2017, 05:30 PM
Post #29

Tetris Professional
Group Icon

Well, I only finally figured out everything in the demo yesterday. Got the game this morning and played a Marathon. There's a bunch of mysterious Japanese when I try to go online, so I have no idea what to pick, but maybe I'll just randomly try something and see what happens, lol.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
iphys
post Mar 6 2017, 03:14 AM
Post #30

Tetris Professional
Group Icon

Blink, you have your Switch yet? Friend code exchange?

Figured out that Japanese was just asking for my region, and I managed to find Canada hiding under something that I don't know what it is, but it's not under America, which seems to just be USA.

Lost a match and won a match against some pretty good players on there. I was really surprised how long the line clear delay is online though compared to the local play: reminds me of Tetris DS.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

©2009-2019 Hard Drop Community & Forum
harddrop.com is not sponsored or endorsed by The Tetris Company or its subsidiaries.