2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tetris Ultimate PC thoughts
DumbledorsArmy
post Dec 10 2015, 07:37 PM
Post #1

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Just a place to post your thoughts about the PC release for Tetris Ultimate. This about sums it up for me.

IPB Image

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kastle09
post Dec 10 2015, 08:43 PM
Post #2

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

We all know its not very good.

I'm now just waiting for cycle to come out and tell us all how shit it is and how shit of a company Ubisoft is and that he was right the whole time XD
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ZeroT
post Dec 10 2015, 08:58 PM
Post #3

Tetris Expert
Group Icon

My experience

--------------------
☠ ZeroT
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Kevcel
post Dec 10 2015, 09:18 PM
Post #4

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

For future reference, these are the key bindings:

Move left : Left arrow or numpad 4
Move right : Right arrow or numpad 6
Soft Drop : Down arrow or numpad 2
Hard Drop : Space or numpad 8
Hold : Shift or numpad 0
Rotate CCW : Z or Ctrl or numpad 3 or numpad 7
Rotate CW : X or Up arrow or numpad 1 or numpad 5 or numpad 9

...Because logic Sarcastic.png

--------------------
Day One Member of harddrop.com
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
DumbledorsArmy
post Dec 10 2015, 09:21 PM
Post #5

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Lol.

I had no hopes of this being good. But as usual, once it was out, my curiosity got the best of me. I DID research Steams policy on refunds before purchasing. That was the only reason I did purchase it.

I hope that a lot of users go for a refund with this. Whilst I know it's a long shot, maybe that would get the message through to Ubisoft. Or possibly get Steam to get on Ubisoft about it. Normally, I would say that the likelihood of that happening would be low, but if it crashes for enough people, there might be a small chance.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
InkofDeath
post Dec 10 2015, 10:03 PM
Post #6

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

QUOTE(DumbledorsArmy @ Dec 10 2015, 09:21 PM) *
I DID research Steams policy on refunds before purchasing. That was the only reason I did purchase it.

I stopped playing after 2 hours for this very reason. I'll keep the game if they commit to a PC patch but if there is 0 news from Ubisoft about it into 2016, it is getting refunded.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
DumbledorsArmy
post Dec 10 2015, 11:24 PM
Post #7

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Figured I'd add the controller and keyboard mappings so that people can see them here. They can be found in the game under the tutorial sections in the extras menu.

Keyboard map

IPB Image

Controller map

IPB Image

I'm using these settings for AutoHotkey. This maps movement, hard and soft drop to wsad, rotates and hold to the numpad. I had issues with the numpad doing hold and rotate before I added redundant entries for numlock being on or off. Don't know if this is normal when using the numpad or not, I don't do too much gaming on the pc and don't use AHK that often.

a::Left
d::Right
s::Down
w::Space
Numpad4::ctrl
Numpad8::LShift
Numpad6::Up
NumpadLeft::ctrl
NumpadUp::LShift
NumpadRight::Up

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
FireStorm58
post Dec 11 2015, 02:08 AM
Post #8

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

My thoughts of Tetris Ultimate is:there's too much line clear delay, the tuning is slow, and you only got four previews instead of five or six. On top of all this it lags a lot and doesn't run smoothly.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
InkofDeath
post Dec 11 2015, 10:21 AM
Post #9

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

QUOTE(FireStorm58 @ Dec 11 2015, 02:08 AM) *

My thoughts of Tetris Ultimate is:there's too much line clear delay, the tuning is slow, and you only got four previews instead of five or six. On top of all this it lags a lot and doesn't run smoothly.

It's running smoothly for me. Was surprised.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
farter
post Dec 11 2015, 01:36 PM
Post #10

Tetris Expert
Group Icon

when i saw your screenshot, i thought this will be a thread of TU crash on everyone's pc collection.

how about let it be that

though sorry i didn't try it at all because i don't think my laptop can handle ubi-hard graphics.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Blink
post Dec 11 2015, 04:32 PM
Post #11

Tetris God
Group Icon

Things I hate:

No in-game chatting. What a shame...
Lack of key configuration
Lack of IHS/IRS
No way to 1v1 - so can't even host a tournament on this if I wanted to

Things I like:

Strategy is more important than ever. Speed is limited by slower maximum DAS and line clear delay, and messy garbage makes timing more critical than even on Tetris DS. Those combined with lack of combo blocking means we should be seeing some pretty new strategies soon. Overall I like the gameplay itself.
Visually pleasing
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
VitoKing
post Dec 11 2015, 06:47 PM
Post #12

Tetris Apprentice
Group Icon

Don't have it yet... and at this point, I'm seriously debating if it's even worth wasting the money on. That said, I do have thoughts.

I know that the game was beta tested, so to me I would think that the ones who did test it would have spoke up about certain issues (game crashing, key binding). But, the fact that these things existed in the final release tells me that the development team obviously didn't listen to the beta testers much, if at all, and Ubisoft likely just wanted to release the game and wash their hands of the project for good. Considering the console versions of the game are also buggy, and Ubisoft did nothing to fix those issues really, it comes as no surprise that the PC version is also bad. I think Ubisoft planned from the beginning to rush the game to market for a quick cash in and didn't plan to devote anymore time to the project past release, because they knew it would sell to casuals regardless. I also think that they flat out forgot they were even working on the PC version until recently, hence the rush to market for that, also for a quick buck during the holiday season.

I honestly believe that the company just wants to be done with it, and now that the PC version of it is out, they will move past it completely. It's not one of their main series, and they basically only own the licence to make some extra cash off of it. I don't see them patching anything on the PC version aside from, maybe, some of the crash issues. Other then that, if we want any improvements to the game, they may have to be mods. If Ubisoft believes they won't gain anything more from fixing the game, then they likely won't.

--------------------
This is a signature... enjoy.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
simonlc
post Dec 11 2015, 07:17 PM
Post #13

Tetris Apprentice
Group Icon

Honestly if anyone is considering buying the game, I would wait for the Xmas sale, it will definitely be discounted.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
caffeine
post Dec 11 2015, 07:24 PM
Post #14

Tetris Grand Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Blink @ Dec 11 2015, 10:32 AM) *

Strategy is more important than ever. Speed is limited by slower maximum DAS and line clear delay, and messy garbage makes timing more critical than even on Tetris DS. Those combined with lack of combo blocking means we should be seeing some pretty new strategies soon. Overall I like the gameplay itself.

It's really a shame there're so many problems, because I really enjoy this aspect of the game as well. The multiplayer rules are solid and encourage diverse and strategic play. That's something multiplayer Tetris sorely needs right now. People have told me (and I tend to agree) that TF style is starting to feel stale and... just not that fun. It's really too bad they screwed this title up so much, and TF is still the only playable and "official" multiplayer game with a decent playerbase.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Okey_Dokey
post Dec 11 2015, 07:56 PM
Post #15

Tetris Professional
Group Icon

I am pretty disappointed. It's playable, but it isn't a great game. My biggest complain is the high demands on your computer. The game is marketed as a game for casuals, but it won't work properly for half the people using laptops (it doesn't work on Win XP & Vista either).

My laptop crashed because of overheating after 3 minutes (mkay I haven't used cooling paste in a while). I had to disable my graphics card and set graphics to the minimum (800x600, lowest details, no lineclear text), so that it would run smoothly in singleplayer (60 frames per second, I encounter FPS drops during the lineclears though). If I change the resolution to 1024x768, my FPS will drop below 40. My next problem is the pretty laggy multiplayer. And with a resolution of 800x600, graphics are messed up in a 3 or 4 players room (the ghost piece has missing lines, playfield lines are either too thick or too thin):

IPB Image

Further complains:
  • no key remapping: People are used too different setups plus the standard layout is not playable on some keyboards. On German (QWERTZ) and French (AZERTY) keyboards the Y key (ccw rotation) is on the top row - no way you can press it simultaneously to the other keys. On German keyboards their is an additional key between left shift (hold) and the other keys.
  • no upgrade from the console versions (except getting rid of multiplayer bugs): On multiplayer PC games (Cultris, TF, TOP, Nullpo), you can usually 1. select the room/opponents 2. chat with other players in the room 3. customize room settings as the room owner (e.g. make a 2 player room, customize randomizer, hold/no hold, combo table, number of previews). You can't do this here.
  • battle rules: I am not 100% convinced of the concrete rules. For my taste the lineclear is too long and the garbage is slightly too messy (I would prefer 70% hole change rate between successive garbage columns). This weakens downstacking too much (the start and making T-Spins midgame are much more important than in any other game)
  • too slow: The lineclear delay is too long, the autorepeat rate is not high enough. Playing Sprint is very frustrating. I needed a half hour before I finished one game without misdropping (and this was not because of lags). I had the same problem in Tetris Zone (mkay TU has a shorter autorepeat delay). Also, you can't hold and rotate during the lineclear delay.
  • playfield arrangement in multiplayer: The arrangement looks like that of a console game, although there seems to be no local multiplayer. Usually in online multiplayer, your playfield is on the left side, and opponents' screens are smaller. This allows to play in bigger rooms and show the preview pieces on the side of the playfield. I really don't know why you know multiple next pieces in 1on1 matches but only 1 in 3+ players rooms.
  • not enough classic Tetris support: Basically, if you want to get in the leaderboards, then play with 7-bag randomizer, hold on, super rotation system on. If you want to win in multiplayer battles, then do the same (no rule lock). Why are their options to change the settings, when the game demands to use the easiest settings competitively?
  • welcome ZT overlords: 7-bag + hold allow to use a techique called ZT stacking. In a month, the following leaderboards will be overrun by ZT stackers: Marathon, Endless, Ultra, time's up, Haunted (infinite TST may also work in Marathon and Ultra). Sprint and Landside are the only safe challenges (mkay maybe also Endless if level 30 is too easy)
  • no downstack mode: Advanced players like downstacking challenges (Chesse, Survivor, Dig Race, Dig Challenge, Driller). Tetris Ultimate hasn't got any. Maybe Landside was planned as one, but in practice it isn't (garbage blocks don't spawn in the top 3 rows, so it's all about surviving on the top of the field)
  • game crashes: I played for hours without encountering any crashes but sometimes I got multiple crashes in a row.

PS: Does anybody know how to play against certain other players in multiplayer? I have no clue of Uplay. I know this was possible in TU 3DS via communities.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

©2009-2019 Hard Drop Community & Forum
harddrop.com is not sponsored or endorsed by The Tetris Company or its subsidiaries.