HOME WORLD FORUMS WIKI VIDEOS
9352 members and stacking!
     Welcome guest, please login or sign up

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SirTet, Totally not another Tetris clone.
nieb
post Feb 11 2018, 06:29 AM
Post #1

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Hello all, I'd like to share the latest project I've been working on. It's now playable-ish.
Any thoughts, feedback or bug-reports are much appreciated.

Current Features
  • Full controller/xinput support.
  • "The New Tetris" style 4x4 combo blocks.
  • Customizable player profiles.
  • Small download, quick to load.
  • 240Hz, 120Hz & 60Hz gameloop-speed modes.
  • All game code is integer based, no floating-point. This avoids rounding-errors and the slight gameplay inconsistencies associated with them.
ToDo/Wish List

SirTet on Itch.io

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Danieru
post Feb 12 2018, 06:42 PM
Post #2

Tetris Apprentice
Group Icon

I'm interested in the
Highly customizable player profiles. (To do.)

Nice looking game and good luck on it!

--------------------
Just an Irish tetris player.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nieb
post Feb 15 2018, 03:24 AM
Post #3

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Just published an update!

Change Log:
  • Fixed animation bug for first held block.
  • AutoMove functionality. (Hold left or right to move continuously.)
  • Naming & Saving of a single profile. (I'm looking into a bug with listing files. Once resolved we'll be able to load a selected profile.)
  • More profile options.
I'm interested in the...

Are there any profile features you'd like to see in particular?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nieb
post Apr 8 2019, 05:56 PM
Post #4

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Spent last week working on an update.
The game finally has The New Tetris style 4x4 combo blocks! This is one of the reasons I started to project, I wanted an easy way to play The New Tetris without an emulator or original hardware setup. It feels great to finally have them. There are also proper game modes now; Marathon (endless play), Sprint (40 lines), & Countdown (2 minutes). With "+" modes that have the 4x4 combos.

Thanks for looking!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
XaeL
post Apr 9 2019, 12:18 AM
Post #5

Tetris God
Group Icon

I noticed you have 240hz/120hz. Why not just use event-based timing (i realise this will introduce floating point...)

--------------------
IPB Image

QUOTE(Paradox @ Dec 16 2010 @ 05:52 PM)
Like many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Chrem
post Apr 9 2019, 01:16 AM
Post #6

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

QUOTE(nieb @ Feb 11 2018, 06:29 AM) *

Hello all, I'd like to share the latest project I've been working on. It's now playable-ish.
Any thoughts, feedback or bug-reports are much appreciated.

Current Features
  • Full controller/xinput support.
  • "The New Tetris" style 4x4 combo blocks.
  • Customizable player profiles.
  • Small download, quick to load.
  • 240Hz, 120Hz & 60Hz gameloop-speed modes.
  • All game code is integer based, no floating-point. This avoids rounding-errors and the slight gameplay inconsistencies associated with them.
SirTet on Itch.io

IPB Image

IPB Image

this looks really neat! Keep working on it!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nieb
post Apr 9 2019, 10:12 PM
Post #7

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

QUOTE(XaeL @ Apr 8 2019, 08:18 PM) *

I noticed you have 240hz/120hz. Why not just use event-based timing (i realize this will introduce floating point...)

This is exactly the reason. I like the precision & consistency of having the game values iterate at specific values at a specific FPS/GameLoop-speed.

I recall playing older PC first person shooter games where is was possible to jump slightly higher or run slightly faster if you disabled vsync and let your FPS go higher. This is the result of accumulated floating-point rounding errors, it builds up quite a bit when you are doing an operation 10s or 100s of times per second.

To remedy this issue most modern games just lock the FPS at 30 or 60. Or they have the GameLoop & the RenderLoop operate independently so the rendered FPS can go all over while the GameLoop is operating at a set speed. If you are familiar with TeamFortress2 & CounterStrike they call the gameloop speed TickRate. I chose not to go this route, mainly because it's difficult to implement. Sticking Out Tongue.png

QUOTE(Chrem @ Apr 8 2019, 09:16 PM) *

this looks really neat! Keep working on it!

Thanks for the feedback & support!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
XaeL
post Apr 10 2019, 12:36 AM
Post #8

Tetris God
Group Icon

Cool, thats a great explanation.

I personally go for event based logic with rendering as fast as possible. Depending on underlying engine, you can get inputs polled millisecond accurate (i.e. 1000hz). If you use timers for everything, errors won't accumulate (i.e. you use a timestamp for when they press the key etc, you have a timestamp for when the piece spawned, and then calculate its current correct position based on curretn timestamp + time taht the player pressed down key etc).

Anyway engine tickrate of 240hz is great! It doesn't really affect much for this style of game (more important for stuff like sprint where having non frame based DAS is important) but it is definitely great Grin.png

--------------------
IPB Image

Like many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nieb
post Apr 10 2019, 07:19 PM
Post #9

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Just looked through a few of your forum topics. It appears you're a bit of an experienced Tetris-player & developer yourself. I'll admit, I'm an amateur Tetris-player & developer. I started this project thinking it would a be a quick & easy thing to do. As it turns out, Tetris is a pretty complex and nuanced game. Sticking Out Tongue.png It's certainly been a educational experience for both developing games and having a deeper understand of Tetris.

I only went for the 240hz mode because I have a 240hz monitor and wanted to test it with this project. I often question weather it's worth the increased code/game complexity...

I had considered using a time-delta to update the game state but, I like the idea of the game state updating in a consistent, iterative manner. And hearing speed runners talk about "frame perfect inputs" and such, just sounds cool. Sticking Out Tongue.png
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Aitch
post Apr 11 2019, 03:24 AM
Post #10

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

I really like how this game looks! Great job!
I have a few mechanical nitpicks though.

The lack of a ghost piece is a little annoying for me. I'm not the fastest Tetris player and I haven't memorized finesse fully yet so not being able to see where I'm going to hard drop is a little annoying.

It seems a little contradictory that you have instant soft drop but ARR and hold/piece delay is so slow.

The lock delay of the piece is a bit fast for me, especially because I have to make sure it dropped in the right spot after instant soft dropping.

EDIT: After looking at your previews on the download site, it seems it does have ghost piece, however it doesn't seem to show on mine.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nieb
post Apr 11 2019, 05:14 AM
Post #11

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

QUOTE(Aitch @ Apr 10 2019, 11:24 PM) *

The lack of a ghost piece is a little annoying for me. I'm not the fastest Tetris player and I haven't memorized finesse fully yet so not being able to see where I'm going to hard drop is a little annoying.

If you look in "Player Options" there are options for a ghost block and/or ghost column.

QUOTE(Aitch @ Apr 10 2019, 11:24 PM) *

It seems a little contradictory that you have instant soft drop but ARR and hold/piece delay is so slow.

The lock delay of the piece is a bit fast for me, especially because I have to make sure it dropped in the right spot after instant soft dropping.

Perhaps I'll have to rethink allowing instant drop in certain modes... Or, reduce the spawn/hold delay.

The Lock delay, Hold/Spawn/LineClear delay, and 4x4 Spawn delay are 500ms. These seem to be pretty standard.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
XaeL
post Apr 11 2019, 05:54 AM
Post #12

Tetris God
Group Icon

Game is quite nice, the 500ms spawn delay is soooo slow
NES Tetris is 160ms,
TGM1 is 500ms,
TGM2 is 416ms -> 200ms (scales)
Most guideline games are 0 to 64ms

I recommend renaming your drops to match guideline:

fast -> soft
hard -> firm
instant -> hard

Also there's a typo with quruple, maybe it's intentional, maybe its a space issue, most games use the term "quad"

--------------------
IPB Image

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nieb
post Apr 11 2019, 09:12 AM
Post #13

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Just posted an update. Spawn/Hold/LineClear is now 200ms. It appears some games have an increased delay if there is a LineClear, just might separate it so LineClear happens before Spawn/Hold. (the game originally worked this way.)

Renamed the Drops and renamed AutoMove to DAS, thanks for the recommendation.

"Quruple" is intentional. I didn't like the sound of "Quadruple" or "Quad", so I made up "Quruple". I pronounce it crew-pull. Sticking Out Tongue.png
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nieb
post Apr 16 2019, 09:21 AM
Post #14

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Just published another update.
The game now stores high scores.
Wasn't sure if I liked the shorter spawn delay, but it's grown on me. I've decided to reduce it even further. The delays are now:
Spawn/Hold 100ms
LineClear 200ms
ComboSpawn 200ms
Lock Delay 500ms
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

©2009-2019 Hard Drop Community & Forum
harddrop.com is not sponsored or endorsed by The Tetris Company or its subsidiaries.