Welcome guest, please login or sign up

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tetris Marathon high score
LaserBeamm
post Feb 17 2019, 12:37 PM
Post #1

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

How do these people in the Leaderboard get 1mil points? I've checked their replay games and they all scored around 680k points until the end, but their final score in the Leaderboard is 1mil+. How is that possible? Do they get extra points in the end by doing t-spins, or do they use prem items?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Okey_Dokey
post Feb 17 2019, 04:03 PM
Post #2

Tetris Professional
Group Icon

I am very sure you mean that Marathon over at TetrisFriends. It's a "goal"-type Marathon, pretty much the only one out there. Everything what I say here is only true for that type of Marathon. If the level advances every 10 cleared lines, you have to do T-Spins nonstop (or Tetrises nonstop in the older ones).

Line clears

When you reach a new level, the goal is to get 5 times level "lines". You subtract from that goal by doing some line clears (or T-Spins that don't clear any lines). The value of a lineclear is dependend on how many lines you clear at once and if you make a T-Spin or not. However, what all lineclears have in common is that they score 100 times as many points as they subtract from the goal (whereas the points are also multiplied by the current level). For example a Single is worth 100 points and 1 "line"; a Double is worth 300 points and 3 "lines"; a Triple is worth 500 points and 5 "lines"; and a Tetris is worth 800 points and 8 "lines" (or multiply by 1.5 if back to back). So, it should make no difference if you score a Tetris OR a Double and a Triple OR 8 Singles: in all cases you have subtracted 8 "lines" from the goal and scored 800 points (multiplied by the level). That's the reason why people usually complete the Marathon with 680k points.

However, there's also the concept of half "lines". You can also reach half "lines" through combos, that means clearing lines with some consecutive pieces. A 1 combo is worth 50 points and 0.5 "lines"; a 2 combo is worth 100 points and 1 "line"; a 3 combo is worth 150 points and 1.5 "lines"; and so on. The game rounds those "lines" numbers down. So in case of a 1 combo, nothing is subtracted from the goal (except for the line clear values) but you still get those 50 points (multiplied by the level). Or in case for a 3 combo, 1 "line" is substracted from the goal and you get 150 points. The most efficient to abuse this system is by doing 1 combos that consist of 2 Singles. Those things subtract 2 "lines" from the goal and score 250 points (200 points from the 2 Singles and 50 points from the 1 combo). Let's say you do that 4 times in a row, then you've subtracted 8 lines from the goal but scored 1200 points (compared to those 800 points from the line clear examples above).

Drop points

There's another way to gain some points, namely by softdropping or harddropping a piece. You get 1 point for each row you accelerate a piece through softdrop; and you get 2 points for each row you travel through harddrop. However, those points are not multiplied by the current level (in contrast to line clear points). So, these points are rather unimportant for your final score. It's still worth noting that you can get more points by doing lesser line clears. For example, you need twice as many pieces to make 8 Singles (8 lines) than to make a Tetris (4 lines), although they both subtract the same number from the goal. Twice as many pieces roughly means twice as many drop points. Also, you can softdrop a piece to the very buttom and then put it in hold. That's some free drop points. There's also a trick where you can farm an infinite number of points on level 1 but it would take over an hour to collect even 10,000 points, so nobody does that. Drop points only really matter, if you want to reach the all-time top 10; you don't have to use a drop-points abuse to score 1 million points.

End of a level

Let's say you are 8 "lines" away from completing a level. Then you could just score a Tetris and you're done with it. Or you could reduce the goal by 7 further "lines" and then score a Tetris. The second way takes longer but also results in more points. So here's the final abuse which I would call overachieving or surplus: Reduce the goal to 1 "line" and then make a high value line clear. Back-to-back (b2b) T-Spins have the highest value: It's 1200 points (and 12 "lines") for a b2b T-Spin Single (as much as a b2b Tetris); 1800 points for a b2b T-Spin Double and a whopping 2400 points for a T-Spin Triple. You get that back-to-back bonus if your previous line clear was also a T-Spin or Tetris. The best way to get the back-to-back bonus is doing a T-Spin Mini (clearing 1 line) as it subtracts only 2 "lines" from your goal.

So that's the strategy that leads towards a big score:
  • If you are still some lines away from the next level, then make some 1 combos consisting of 2 Singles each. Each time you do so, you get 2 "lines" closer to the next level.
  • If you are a few lines away from the next level, then gain the back-to-back bonus and score a Tetris or even better a T-Spin line clear. Best case: If you are 3 lines away from the next level, then make a T-Spin Mini and sometime later a b2b T-Spin Triple.
If you consider my advices, then you should have no problem to score 800k points in Tetris Friends Marathon. Maybe even 1000k points, if you are skilled and practice a little (needs some b2b T-Spin Triples).

Here's a good way to make a T-Spin Mini followed by ab2b T-Spin Double, if you are 3 "lines" away from the next level (also works under high gravity):

And here's a good way to make a T-Spin Mini followed by a b2b T-Spin Triple, if you are 3 "lines" away from the next level (also works under high gravity):

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
LaserBeamm
post Feb 18 2019, 12:16 AM
Post #3

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Thanks a lot for your info! Yes, I was talking about Marathon at Tetrisfriends. I understand there are ways to make more points, I just don't get how the top 100 seem to have over 1million points, but when you check their games they too do a score of around 680k.

Example

The first one on the leaderboard with a score of 1246181

IPB Image

But when you check the game, it's still only 663k

IPB Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Okey_Dokey
post Feb 18 2019, 07:31 AM
Post #4

Tetris Professional
Group Icon

Yeah, that score is fake. Sometimes, players use programs like Cheat Engine to submit wrong scores on purpose; and very seldomly the game just reports a wrong score for whatever reason. Have a look at Ultra: The top 10 is full of fake scores (Omu on 17th spot is the first legit one as far as I know).

However, in Marathon all scores from 2nd place onwards are valid. If you have a look at 3rd place to 5th place (for example), they will use the strategy mentioned by me. Note that Tetris Friends replays also tend to break in long games with softdrop. So, if in a replay, a player seems to top out or mess up midgame, it mustn't be a fake score - it's most likely just a bug in the replay system.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
LaserBeamm
post Feb 18 2019, 11:13 AM
Post #5

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

I've checked the rest of top 10 in marathon too, and it seems they're fake too. Like this player (3rd best score) even has a played time of 20mins, yet he loses at 7 mins with 216k.

IPB Image

As for stragedy, I've done a 699k score by making as many tetrises and back to back tetrises as possible, without doing any t-spins.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Okey_Dokey
post Feb 18 2019, 06:44 PM
Post #6

Tetris Professional
Group Icon

The first place was a fake score because you can't score as high (without using the play infinitely long at level 1 exploit) and because you can watch the player until the end of the game, doing nothing special and ending with a score of 690k. On the other hand, chrisw aka blazenazn was well known in the Tetris community. His score is not a fake; it's a broken replay like I tried to explain here:

Note that Tetris Friends replays also tend to break in long games with softdrop. So, if in a replay, a player seems to top out or mess up midgame, it mustn't be a fake score - it's most likely just a bug in the replay system.

Tetris Friends only saves the moves/inputs (rotation,left/right,drop etc.) a player makes each frame. It doesn't save the state of the playfield at the end of a piece placement. It tries to reproduce that state by advancing frame by frame and sometimes it's not accurate ("desynchronization"). And as soon as it fails, it looks like the player messes up very badly (usually ending in a topout).

I think his replays breaks around 6:08. Look at the following screenshot: His hold piece disappears (that's impossible) and he's rewarded a Double although he scores a Single.

IPB Image

Afterwards you see those placements in the replay which don't make sense.

These placements would make more sense and require the same inputs - just for different pieces:

Actually, I can't say what chrisw did in this situation. But here's another example to illustrate desynchronization. This time it's a live game and not a replay but something similar happens. From my perspective it looks like both players to the left messed up:

IPB Image

However, I am very sure that the left player actually did this (makes much more sense and requires the same inputs - just with the first T piece softdropped to the bottom):

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
LaserBeamm
post Feb 19 2019, 11:52 AM
Post #7

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Ohh I see. Very informative, thanks
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

©2009-2019 Hard Drop Community & Forum
harddrop.com is not sponsored or endorsed by The Tetris Company or its subsidiaries.