HOME WORLD FORUMS WIKI VIDEOS
8727 members and stacking!
     Welcome guest, please login or sign up

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What are your favorite Tetris animations?
swburk
post May 29 2018, 09:10 PM
Post #1

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

I recently picked up a copy of Tetris DS and was struck by how much better the line clear and piece lock animations were than the other Tetris games I've played. I especially liked the detail that different types of line clears had variations on the animation. This is nice when I'm playing without sound and can't hear "Tetris!" etc. It's a detail that I usually don't notice when playing fast, but it was nice.

What other games have great animations and/or effects that you like?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Okey_Dokey
post May 30 2018, 07:09 AM
Post #2

Tetris Professional
Group Icon

Tetris Zone gets my vote for the overall feel. Unobtrusive animations paired with nice audio (also note the very subtle effect when holding a piece). The GameCube version of Tetris Worlds is a good example of how animations can hurt the gameplay: rotating previews and pieces bouncing off the ground (latter can be turned off though).

In case of line clears, my vote goes to Tetris Burst: quick but outstanding animation (warning: don't play that game). GameBoy Tetris is a good example where line clear animation can hurt the gameplay: the lines blinking before disappearing looks good but the line clear effect is so slow that it takes the speed out of level 20 (if you go for Singles).

PS: I also like line clear animations where the blocks disappear from left to right (or right to left respectively). Tengen's NES Tetris or Tetris Twist / Facebook Messenger Tetris (unless Tetris line clear) would be examples for this kind of animation. And I like when lines disappear one by one, starting with the line on top. Atari's Arcade Tetris is an example for this although I don't think it did it well. And regarding block skins I like when the minos/blocks are connected together (like in Tengen and Atari Tetris).
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
swburk
post May 31 2018, 08:18 PM
Post #3

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Thanks Okey_Dokey! The Tetris Burst animations are really great, and I hadn't considered how the slow animation affected overall game flow in Game Boy Tetris.

QUOTE(alirafami @ May 31 2018, 09:21 AM) *

Puyo Puyo Tetris :This game is a great entry into the puzzle genre for the Nintendo Switch. It executes the idea of joining the most iconic puzzle franchises really well. The game includes a single player campaign, which focuses more on the challenge side rather than the story. The arcade is really where Puyo Puyo Tetris shines. It has 5 unique modes that can be played with up to 4 people. It also 6 single player modes to challenge even the most seasoned puzzle veterans. The presentation of the game is top-notch and the music is good. One downside is that the character voices are a bit annoying but can be easily turned off. Puyo Puyo Tetris is a great game for on the go fun and challenging friends

I'm a huge Puyo Puyo Tetris fan as well. It's where I play the most, although I pretty much ignore the Puyo Puyo half of it.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
XaeL
post Jun 4 2018, 03:42 AM
Post #4

Tetris God
Group Icon

Tetris Zone definitely has the best animations, however one bad thing is the ghost piece fades in per-piece, making it difficult to stack fast in 40L modes unless you have very good finesse.

--------------------
IPB Image

QUOTE(Paradox @ Dec 16 2010 @ 05:52 PM)
Like many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
CosmicCommunist
post Jun 5 2018, 04:39 AM
Post #5

Tetris Apprentice
Group Icon

Personally I like the line clear in Tetris Axis on the 3DS. Especially when the board is slightly tilted (why they added a tilt IDK, maybe as a handicap) it really brings out the depth. The 3D in Axis really is intense. I've never had a game where the 3D effect was that intense and it really feels like the exploding blocks are flying out at you.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

©2009-2018 Hard Drop Community & Forum
harddrop.com is not sponsored or endorsed by The Tetris Company or its subsidiaries.