HOME WORLD FORUMS WIKI VIDEOS
9494 members and stacking!
     Welcome guest, please login or sign up

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Albatross vs Hachispin?, When is it optimal to use either one?
Skyfire
post Jan 17 2019, 09:56 AM
Post #1

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Hi, I'm a somewhat high-ranking player (approximately 2700th) in Puyo Puyo Tetris, and with early O T-spin openings, I've been either using Albatross or Hachispin, which both seem like effective openers. However, I'm not sure when either of these setups is better than the other. Other than the need for an early O piece, what are the pros and cons of either setup, and in what situations are they best used in?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Aitch
post Jan 17 2019, 09:01 PM
Post #2

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Hachispin
FIRST BAG:
Guaranteed TSS with early O. No softdrops other than T necessary.
SECOND BAG:
Guaranteed TST with two variations. Softdrop may be required on S/Z.
THIRD BAG:
Theoretically 69% PC - S/Z/T softdrops may be required, or high chance TSD/TST. Not sure what the realistic PC percentage is - I never use this opener.

TSS + TST + TSD = 2 + 7 + 5 = 14 lines sent in three bags. ~20 lines in three bags if you get the PC.

Albatross
FIRST BAG:
Guaranteed TSD with early O. Softdrops other than T may be required.
SECOND BAG:
High chance TST, or theoretically 100%* chance PC, non-theoretically ~70% PC chance.
THIRD BAG:
After TST a guaranteed TSD. However a softdrop other than T is required.
FOURTH BAG:
A very small PC chance.

TSD + TST + TSD = 4 + 7 + 5 = 16 lines sent in 3 bags. ~15 lines in two bags if you get the PC.

* Not actually 100% Sticking Out Tongue.png . 6 out of 211680 possibilities don't work. Rounds up to 100.00% PC though.
Non PC-able bags if you care
[T, Z, L, J, O, S, I, O, I]
[L, T, Z, J, O, S, I, O, I]
[L, Z, T, J, O, S, I, O, I]
[Z, L, T, J, O, S, I, O, I]
[Z, T, L, J, O, S, I, O, I]
[T, L, Z, J, O, S, I, O, I]

--

In general I'd go for Albatross - It sends a bit more damage, has a higher PC chance, and is almost as consistent as Hachispin. It does have a higher chance for non-T softdrops, though that's not too big of an issue.

Hachispin also has the problem that the first bag TSS cannot offset a quick one bag TSD from the opponent - ruining the chance of a PC.

The PC in Hachispin sends 20 lines, though - just enough to top out a 4-wider. However there are other, more consistent options vs 4-widers, such as 8 row C-Spin PCs.

VS Perfect Clear players I would not recommend these, unless you are faster than them. You might want to check out Hummingbird vs PCs, but it's not always possible with an early O.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mcht
post Jan 22 2019, 12:23 PM
Post #3

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

QUOTE(Skyfire @ Jan 17 2019, 09:56 AM) *

Hi, I'm a somewhat high-ranking player (approximately 2700th) in Puyo Puyo Tetris, and with early O T-spin openings, I've been either using Albatross or Hachispin, which both seem like effective openers. However, I'm not sure when either of these setups is better than the other. Other than the need for an early O piece, what are the pros and cons of either setup, and in what situations are they best used in?

My puzzle league ranking is among top 200 (PPT PC). Basically I do both, the reason is for speed:
1. If O-block is the first piece, it can be just placed at the same location. No need to decide which orientation of opening to play at the first piece. It's straightforward then.
2. Actually I know only a few players playing "mirrored" openings. If mirrorred opening is played, every placement of it has to be learnt and played for two orientations, that would take a relatively long time. At least for the first and second bags it won't take long to master both.

Albatross might be the most efficient opening, producing timely tsd at the first bag, and sub-timely tst at the second bag (if early I-block is handled perfectly. As for speed, in practice it's a little faster than hachipin. Though hachipin has a good-to-continue surface after second bag or third bag. And hachipin also has stable output (not much to think about stack-up). I can't really say which one is better.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

©2009-2019 Hard Drop Community & Forum
harddrop.com is not sponsored or endorsed by The Tetris Company or its subsidiaries.