Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Worldwide Combos, Yet another clone.
noelnadal
post Jul 2 2017, 10:22 PM
Post #1

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Hi!

So yeah, basically, I made a game that I called "Worldwide Combos". I chose that name because it sounds similar to "4-wide combos". Sticking Out Tongue.png

The game is to be played with your browser. It should work at least on Safari, Firefox and Google Chrome (haven't checked all existing browsers). It was mainly made with jQuery client side, and with Node.js server side.

Here is a little preview.

IPB Image

Features

For now, it only supports 1 versus 1 games. Yet, if you don't have anybody to play with, you can play the "solo" mode which is actually a 1 versus 1 mode using asynchronous gaming (yes, I had a lot of fun making this).

The multiplayer games are made through a matchmaking system, that matches you to another waiting player according to your multiplayer ratings (there is a solo rating as well). There is a spectator mode, even though I am not 100% sure it works well... Sticking Out Tongue.png

For now there are two handicap types : solid garbage (for both modes), and garbage with holes (which can be found in many games).

You may also customize the speed tunings, as well as the keys, and the time limit, and the KO limit. There is no "hurry up" mode either right now.

Upcoming features

I will probably try to make a better design, but for now it's not so ugly to my opinion.
There are many things I want to add, including an "interactive" tutorial for beginners, as well as an in-game chat system. I also want to let players schedule a match in advance, if they wish to.

Maybe some of you remember the website that I made last year (for hosting tournaments). I will try to rewrite it so that I can integrate it to the game. You may see a "Competitive" button in the game, but for now it doesn't do anything. Sticking Out Tongue.png

Known issues

There are a lot of security issues right now, and I know it. I will fix them little by little.
Also, be careful not to press Enter while customizing options, as it might reload the game.

Hope you will like it, I had a lot fun making this, despite several (very) fustrating bugs. It is my first Node.js application, and I am quite satisfied by the result, that's why I am posting it now. Actually, I always wait until my projects are consistent before talking about them, because I am never 100% whether I will be able to do something that works or not. Laugh.png

If you have comments or suggestions to make, feel free.
Thank you for reading!

NoŽl.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Okey_Dokey
post Jul 4 2017, 10:26 PM
Post #2

Tetris Expert
Group Icon

This must be the first fan-made Tetris game that can be played asynchronously.

My issues:
  • I don't like how the grid looks like (grey background, white lines). It's too salient. I think black background with grey, dotted lines would look better.
  • Back to Back (successive Tetris and T-Spin line clears) gives no bonus. T-Spins may also send a wrong amount of lines: I once did a T-Spin Mini that didn't clear any line and it send 1 line I think. Afterwards, I did a T-Spin Mini that cleared a line and it didn't send any lines.
  • Combos are overpowered. Like Tetris Battle, this game uses a too strong combo table. Since the game doesn't end when you top out, you can build a huge 4-wide and send a huge spike. In my opinion, a single line clear should never send more than 4 lines (for comparison: a b2b T-Spin Single sends 3 lines). I also think it's problematic if 1-combos already send a line: With no significant lineclear delay, sending a combo of singles is always at least as good as making a multi-line clear with the same amount of lines.
  • There seems to be no move-reset lock delay. I am used to press harddrop after a softdrop which made me unintentionally lock 2 pieces. And I tried to stack Imperial Cross where I didn't have enough time to rotate the piece often enough before it locked. Either increase lock delay or reset the lock delay after a successful rotation.
  • Autorepetition is also enabled for rotations and harddrop. You don't really need this. If you press harddrop too long, you'll unintentionally lock a few pieces.
  • I was matched against the same jkwon replay way too often. Instead of choosing a fixed replay at a certain rating, you may select one of the ~5 closest replays and randomize the chosen one (the closest replay having the highest chances). Also, you need some more godlike replays (~150 lines sent without stacking too high). Maybe record a 4 minutes video and speed it up to match 2 minutes.
  • The usual S/Z-spin failed often when I tried. The kick system seems to be slightly different from SRS.
  • There's a way to stall the game. If you top out your opponent quickly (e.g. with a Perfect Clear), you can stall for the rest of the game to win the game with 1 KO.
  • Not all data is reset at the start of a game. One time the game thought I was softdropping and I couldn't stop that besides refreshing the page. Also, sometimes I saw the last piece of the previous game during the countdown of the current game.
  • Some options like key configuration aren't available when you play as a guest. The default key configuration is also different from official games: left and right rotate are switched, and official PC Tetris has 2 keys for rotate right (Up and X) and Hold (C and LShift)).

Questions:
  • How does the randomizer work?
  • How many of your games are used as replays? Does it use your most recent games or best games?
  • Does each replay of a player have its own rating?

Some notes:
  • An asynchronous ~5 player mode could also work. If so, I would use the same system as Tetris Friends Battle 6P, namely that you lose 1 KO if you're topped out.
  • I think bombs are an upgrade to solid garbage because it brings a kind of downstacking to an otherwise Ultra-like mode.
  • If the game stores a new replay, it could be matched against already existing replays to give it a rather accurate start rating.
  • Instead of counting KOs, you could also count scores whereas players lose ~25% of their points if topped out. Such a mode must be at least 3 minutes long though.

late edit: When I give feedback, I always sound so negative. If the asynchronous match-making system works as I think it does, then it makes sense indeed (client using multiple replays per user and each replay having its own ranking which differs from the ranking of a user). So the metagame is already pretty strong but there're some gameplay bugs or not optimal design choices. And of course, games like Tetris Friends and Tetris Battle are much more laggy (the client can become laggy though if you use something like 1 to 5 in repeat rate/speed but nobody forces you to do so, 10 works fine as repeat rate/speed, never tested 0). One bug I forgot to mention: If a piece touches the stack but it doesn't touch the stack anymore after rotation, then softdrop doesn't work anymore as long as the piece is active.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
noelnadal
post Jul 5 2017, 11:58 AM
Post #3

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Thanks for all this feedback. Thumbs Up.png
  • The game uses a 7-bag randomizer.
  • Yes, every replay has its own rating. All the replays are stored in the database, and the starting rating is the rating the player had at the end of this game. Later on, I am going not to use guests' games unless they play a certain number of games, so that when the player reaches this number of games (maybe 20), all his previous ghosts get the same rating. But right now, there are not many replays in the database, so they are all reused immediately., and the level is not really balanced. Yet, I believe this problem will be solved in the long term. The idea of simulating games between replays is good, though.
  • Concerning the combo table, it indeed send much lines. Shall I reduce the number of lines sent by 1 for every combo?
  • Concerning the B2Bs: actually, I had noticed the bug some time ago, but I completely forgot about it and I remembered it while writing this topic. So, I fixed it shortly after publishing it, but you had already started playing. After updating the website you played again, so that's probably why the scoring didn't always work in the same way.
  • Concerning the T-Spins: I don't really use much T-Spins when I personally play, and this has two consequences. First, I checked a fey T-Spins setups while making the rotation system, yet I haven't checked all existing ones, so maybe the rotation system a somehow different from usual SRS. Second, at the beginning I had a wrong definition of T-Spin Mini in my head, and I basically used it for this game. I realized afterwards that I was wrong, but, for some reason, I forgot to fix it (used definition are in the help page.
  • Yes, I should disable auto repetition for the cases you mentioned.
  • I voluntarily disabled options for guests as I thought registering wouldn't be such a problem (it takes around 20 seconds to fill up the form). Do you think I should allow customizing key binds for everyone? Actually, guests accounts are mainly made for briefly testing the website, and testing might be difficult if you can't use your favorite configuration, so maybe I should do it.
  • Thanks for all the other bugs you mentioned. Yet, there are a few bugs that I had noticed before and that I haven't managed to solve yet (especially, the one where a previous game's block is visible at the beginning).

For information, you may set a KO limit (0 = no limit) and a time limit (2 minutes by default, from 1 to 10 allowed) in the options tab. And also, your country flag will appear next to your handle if you put your "country code" in the Community > Profile page. I will improve this later, but for now the "country code" is usually the first three letters of your country, unless the country name has several words (e.g. USA, UK), and a very few other exceptions.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Okey_Dokey
post Jul 5 2017, 08:20 PM
Post #4

Tetris Expert
Group Icon

QUOTE(noelnadal @ Jul 5 2017, 11:58 AM) *
The game uses a 7-bag randomizer.

I could swear, it behaves like a 6-bag randomizer. That means one piece of each bag is discarded.

Concerning the combo table, it indeed send much lines. Shall I reduce the number of lines sent by 1 for every combo?

In case B2B gives +2 lines sent to Tetrises and T-Spin Doubles and softdropping needs some time (no quickdrop), I would consider this is a good combo table (first number stands for 1-combo, second number for 2-combo and so on):

0 1 1 2 2 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 4 4 ...

Concerning the T-Spins: I don't really use much T-Spins when I personally play, and this has two consequences. First, I checked a fey T-Spins setups while making the rotation system, yet I haven't checked all existing ones, so maybe the rotation system a somehow different from usual SRS.

All T-Spins I tried so far did work (besides no lock delay reset). However, those common S (and Z) Spins don't seem to work:

Second, at the beginning I had a wrong definition of T-Spin Mini in my head, and I basically used it for this game. I realized afterwards that I was wrong, but, for some reason, I forgot to fix it (used definition are in the help page.

Noticed that, too. I should have read more carefully. In multiplayer, T-Spins that don't clear any lines (no matter if regular or mini) won't send any lines. And Mini T-Spin Singles send less lines than regular T-Spin Singles. For Mini recognition, see T-Spin Wiki article, more precisely under Tetris Friends (2 cells next to the pointing side of T filled -> regular T-Spin, T-Spin Triple wall kick used -> regular T-Spin, only 1 cell next to pointing side of T filled and no T-Spin Triple wall kick -> mini T-Spin).

Speaking of Mini T-Spins: Your game sometimes fails to recognize them as T-Spins (at least 3 of the 4 squares diagonally adjacent to the T's center are filled). I think it's because the game thinks the floor (wall below the lowest row of the matrix) consists of empty cells. Other reasons could be that the left and right walls are not recognized as filled cells or that the game uses a wrong offset for the center when a kick happens. Anyway, if you start a game with those Mini T-Spin Singles, the game will think they are just normal Singles:

I voluntarily disabled options for guests as I thought registering wouldn't be such a problem (it takes around 20 seconds to fill up the form). Do you think I should allow customizing key binds for everyone? Actually, guests accounts are mainly made for briefly testing the website, and testing might be difficult if you can't use your favorite configuration, so maybe I should do it.

Guests should be able to customize key bindings. You are from France as far as I know, so you should know that the Z key (per default the only way to rotate counterclockwise) doesn't lie next to the X key on some keyboards. Also, a lot of people play with custom bindings on official games.

Not sure if guests should be able to use tunings. After 10 rounds or so, guests have to make an account anyway in order to play further, so it doesn't really matter.

For information, you may set a KO limit (0 = no limit) and a time limit (2 minutes by default, from 1 to 10 allowed) in the options tab.

Bombs would be another good option. Or maybe instead of bombs, insert a garbage line every 10 seconds to break the Ultra-like gameplay. garbage lines with holes would probably look weird in combination with solid garbage lines but at least it would stop people from infinitely using 4-wide combos or ZT stacking.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
noelnadal
post Jul 6 2017, 07:57 PM
Post #5

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Indeed, there was a problem with the randomizer, and I fixed it.

I just updated the website. There is now the second handicap type ("normal" garbage with holes), in the multiplayer mode only. I hope everything works fine. I didn't find any bug, though.

Guests can now change key binds. I also modified the combo table a bit.

You can see all changes on http://www.worldwide-combos.com/history. I haven't fixed the issues with the rotation system and with T-Spins yet, but I will do it soon.

After fixing all this stuff, the next step will probably be improving the user interface, and adding an interactive tutorial for beginners.

Many thanks to all those who helped me improve this game so far! Grin.png

Edit: I also noticed that I haven't updated the options tab, in the sense that you can't go back to the solid garbage right now. This will be fixed tomorrow, I guess. Sticking Out Tongue.png

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
noelnadal
post Jul 16 2017, 12:05 AM
Post #6

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

You can now play Worldwide Combos 0.3, with a brand new design. The game in itself hasn't changed much, but modifications are made little by little.

If you are a beginner, you may now follow the tutorial that was made for you. If you already have an account, you can find it in Training.

There a some bugs that were found in the solo mode, and I am sorry for that. This will be fixed as soon as possible!

Have fun. smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Riisssaaa
post Jul 16 2017, 09:22 AM
Post #7

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Some feedback:

-- There's no way to leave a practice solo game.
-- There's a rating change after a solo game which I don't really agree with.

I see the solo rating is different. Thumbs Up.png

-- Atm the contrast between the elements are a bit jarring but I'm sure you'll iron those out in the long run w/ a bit more work.
---- Perhaps white text on the grey will be better than grey on grey.
---- A darker background on the matrix, OR finer/ less contrast (against matrix grid) will be kinder on the eyes
---- You can also try crosses on the grid intersections in place of gridlines to reduce graphics clutter
---- Darker or translucent ghost would be amazing.

Adding onto Okey (about spike-centric play):
"Combos are overpowered. Like Tetris Battle, this game uses a too strong combo table. Since the game doesn't end when you top out, you can build a huge 4-wide and send a huge spike. "

-- My idea for a combo-centric game is just to scrap traditional line clear sends altogether and do lines sent based on combo counter only. Yes this will end up like cultris. Our playstyle balance will now be greater risk (higher stacking) = greater rewards (higher combo).

Single: 0
Double: 0
Triple: 0
Tetris: 0

Combo table? (roughly) 0, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4 ...

But now we have another problem... Our game is boring.
So instead we can... Take traditional line clearing and use that as defense.

Single: send 0, -0 lines from garbage queue
Double: send 0, -1 lines from garbage queue
Triple: send 0, -2 lines from garbage queue
Tetris: send 0, -3 lines from garbage queue

If my brain is working correctly we now have some rock, paper, scissors playstyle.
(But this balance could be off. I was never good at numbers.)

And then if we reward trickier technique?
+1 to spin.
+1 to back to back.

(ycombo+2 total for a b2b t-spin)
(-6 garbage lines in queue, ycombo+1 sent in b2b tetris)

"Instead of counting KOs, you could also count scores whereas players lose ~25% of their points if topped out. Such a mode must be at least 3 minutes long though."

I agree w/ okey. Having two tier scoring is tricky IMO... Perhaps if we scrapped the KO system (rewarding spike play) and integrate it back as an immediate bonus in lines sent? like... +10 lines sent in one KO. It would make a player rethink how high or low they are stacking.

Then again with all those changes it becomes an entirely new game. Confused.png

Waitwaitwait.... So this is a spike-centric game?
"Worldwide Combos is a multiplayer "1 versus 1" game, where you have to knock out your opponent as much as possible."
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Riisssaaa
post Jul 16 2017, 10:20 AM
Post #8

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Weird bugs in Solo.
Player AI stops and KO counter just rises per sec.

IPB Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
noelnadal
post Jul 17 2017, 09:09 PM
Post #9

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

So, I made two minor updates since then. I changed the design for the grids. I modified the rotation system, now it should be the real SRS, even though I haven't done exhaustive testing. I also found the bug Riisssaaa is talking about, yet I can't guarantee that there aren't any other bugs... Sticking Out Tongue.png

Thank you to all the people playing, more than 1000 games have been played on Worldwide Combos already, by more than 100 users (including guests). Grin.png

EDIT: still some bugs in the rotation system. I will make one more update within a few minutes.

EDIT2: updated. If there are no more critical bugs in this update, I will start working on the custom games feature, as well as the games with multiple rounds and/or sets.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
noelnadal
post Sep 8 2017, 09:59 PM
Post #10

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

After such a long time, I finally made a new update (0.4). I am sorry it took so long to me to do this, I didn't expect all these changes to be so time-consuming to implement.

The fact is that I am going to use some times for my studies (started this week), so I am not sure how much time I will be spending on this. For this reason, I released this 0.4 version without custom games, even though I said it would be a new feature. Actually, only the server-side is still not done, but as I said, I don't know when I will be able to do that. Similarly, the live spectator mode is temporarily disabled.

So, the changes are the following.

Changed completely the game's design.
Fixed a bug concerning the opponent's elo rating that wouldn't be displayed in multiplayer mode.
Fixed a bug concerning the fact that an opponent would sometimes be shown as being disconnected instead of losing before the time limit.
Fixed the bugs related to the autoshift repeat rates.
Added a few country flags.
Improved options and settings, especially concerning newsletters that may be sent in the future.
Added a 40L sprint mode (no ranking yet).
Added a warm-up mode.
The "solo" mode is now called "ghostbuster".
Guests may now use all the settings and options features.
Only top 20 is displayed in rankings page.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Okey_Dokey
post Sep 10 2017, 06:44 PM
Post #11

Tetris Expert
Group Icon

There's still a severe bug with softdrop/autolocking. I think it is triggered if you do the following: Press softdrop, when piece reaches the ground rotate the piece, keep pressing softdrop, press harddrop, release softrop. In consequence, all upcoming pieces will fall faster (some timer starting over and over again moving the pieces downwards). Once this bug is triggered, pieces will autolock very quickly once they reach the ground. And once they autolock, the next pieces will fall even faster (another unstoppable timer), making you lose the match uncontrollably. Also, I think the bug can trigger other bugs. I saw my opponents replays break some time (when the same replay worked fine another time) and it can also happen that you have completed lines in your playfield which will never disappear (so you basically play with reduced height).

I wonder why you didn't notice this bug. It happened to me so often that I didn't even dare to use softdrop anymore (or not pressing harddrop when I occasionally did). BTW I use softdrop delay 10, if this is the reason. It also felt like that pieces autolock sometimes too early, maybe it's because gravity steps are not handled correctly (if a piece touches the ground) or because of the mentioned bug.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
noelnadal
post Sep 10 2017, 09:58 PM
Post #12

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

I am really sorry for that bug. Thank you for the details.

The fact is that, when I released 0.4 version, jezevec reported a bug concerning the fact that softdrop would stop after a rotation, whereas it shouldn't. I fixed that, but it looks like I didn't fix it well, as it triggered other bugs. But since this happened after 0.4 was released, I didn't make much tests.

Anyway, 0.4.2 is now available, and I hope nobody will find such bugs anymore. In the solo mode, there are still bugs that make the replay freeze, but as far as I know it doesn't happen that often. Still I am trying to find out why this occurs sometimes.

Again, sorry to those who could play as they wished because of this.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
DarkWolfLP2014
post Sep 11 2017, 02:21 PM
Post #13

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

I've tried out Worldwide Combos and I quite like it. Only thing that bugs me about it is the tetrimino's are quite bright and hurt my eyes after awhile. Any chance of cell shading them in the future? Or maybe giving choice to different styles like in Nullpo?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
noelnadal
post Sep 11 2017, 06:50 PM
Post #14

Tetris Novice
Group Icon

Well, customizing blocks' colors is a feature that may appear in the future. Probably not in the short term, unless it is really disturbing, but it already belongs to what I could do in the long term. smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Okey_Dokey
post Sep 11 2017, 09:38 PM
Post #15

Tetris Expert
Group Icon

The softdrop bug is still present and I think I have narrowed it down when it happens: You press softdrop, perform a downwards kick, press harddrop (before piece locks), release softdrop. And the bugged downwards loop happens in the same interval as gravity steps and the game still keeps playing once time is up. Also with this bug present, opponents may be able to score more than 1 KO when you're topped out.

example for downward kicks:

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

©2009-2017 Hard Drop Community & Forum
harddrop.com is not sponsored or endorsed by The Tetris Company or its subsidiaries.